BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you disconect your sway bar, is it ok for daily driving? or do you just do it when you get to the trail and thats it?!?!? or do you do it just when yer leaving maybe fo rthe hour drive it takes to get to the trail?!?!? any suggestions welcome....

------------------
'88 xj, on 33's fun in the mud.

·
Registered
16 Posts
good question i recently had a 4'' suspension installed on my bronco 2.my truck already came with a 3'' body lift.i drove it from surrey to chilliwack. and almost rolled it on the freeway 10 times. beleive me i nearly killed myself.any little bump in the road i hit caused my rear end to fish tail. its almost impossible to drive fast, with them out.the shop actually forgot to install them while putting in my lift.i went back the next day and had them put in,now i remain to scared to disconnect them, one scary experience!im new to the sport ,youre 4x4 may behave differently,but get a proffessional opinion,before driving fast!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
It completly depends on the individual vehicle. One thing I will says is that if your rig is raised a lot, especially a big body lift (like a 3 inch) then i is a good idea to get quick disconnects. They are easy to fabricate. check out this link.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/swaybar2/

------------------
93' x-tra cab. I hate my IFS. Ya I know your rig is better than mine.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by mud hound:
if you disconect your sway bar, is it ok for daily driving? or do you just do it when you get to the trail and thats it?!?!? or do you do it just when yer leaving maybe fo rthe hour drive it takes to get to the trail?!?!? any suggestions welcome....
Get a set of swaybar quick disconnects and keep your swaybar connected when on the street. IMO, XJ suspensions are too soft to run on the street w/o the swaybar.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The rear can be removed and ditched, but unless you have super stiff lift springs and stiff shocks you need the front bar on when on the road.

The bigger the tires you have the more their weight will twist the sway bar and the less need to disconnect it there is, except that you will break the upper links eventually if you don't disconnect the bar.

One thing to remember is that your sway bar may have been limiting your wheel travel. Getting back that travel is a good thing, but with oversized tires you need to make sure that increase in travel isn't upward into your fenders.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i've got 6" suspension lift and quite a bit of room from the top of tiers to fender so maybe i should just look into gettin summ of those quick disconect thingies! thanx guys

------------------
'88 xj, on 33's fun in the mud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts