BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...

Went wheeling this weekend, and I disconnected the swaybars on my '02 TJ and tie-strapped them to the frame (they were never a problem there btw...and are still snuggly attached there too) but when I 1st disconnected them, I was stuck (ya ya..I know...before is better ;) ) and the weight or the wheel/tire tweaked the bolt as I was undoing it...when it came off...the nut flew off into the abyss, so I've not reconnected them at all yet.

Question is what is the real worry about not having them connected? Is it just that the body-roll on really lifted Jeeps can be way too much to be safe onroad in evasive maneuvers, or is it due to something major to do with the suspension that could completely mess it up if left off? Any reason leaving them off on a semi-stock TJ with 31"s would mess something up badly? I've not noticed anything really that different in driving onroad with them off, and am wondering what I will mess up. Basically...I don't wanna do that. heh.

Thanks.
Cheers!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Swaybars will not affect your daily driving on a near stock jeep, unless maybe you drive it like it's a porshe, flying through corners etc. I drove without swaybards on my YJ with 31's for a long time, and could never tell the difference. I really wouldn't worry about the swaybards if I were you.
Now driving without the swaybars no my SOA jeep is DEFENETLY noticable :D

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I'll have to disagree. I can definitely tell when a stock Jeep has the sway bar connected or disconnected. And when you REALLY need it (ie: emergency evasive maneuver), you will miss it sorely. Given the very affordable price of sway bar disconnects (about $100), I strongly recommend that you buy a set and keep your sway bar hooked up for the street. You can get another nut and stud from Gary's Autowrecking or else from the dealer.

For that matter, a fastener shop could probably order 'em in for you, too.

Oh, and NO, the lack of a sway bar isn't going to damage your suspension in any way.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Which disco's go for $100...and where? The ones I was told to get at NSOR were the FSKs at a whopping $208!! No thnx...

I'll probably reconnect them...even if it means using factory stuff. It only takes 5mins to unscrew the things anyway...

Cheers!

·
Registered
382 Posts
if you have access to a welder you can chop up your stock ones and make your own.
thats what i did and i came to the grand total of like 10.00 for the dom tube that i bought for the disco to slide into.
takes about 30 min to make.
if you want i work in vancouver and could meet up with you so you can have a look.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would lean on buying a set of new disconnects as opposed to chopping up your original links or leaving them on. I bought a set of JKS discos from nsor and the first thing I noticed was that ON-road handling improved significantly. IMHO ,new bushings = kickass handling. My only beef is that I blew a tire when they were disconnected last week. Extending your steering bumpstops and ziptying them up higher will fix that though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correction: the NSOR guys suggested JKS disco's at $208.

I would be very surprised that the JKS bushing would make the difference in onroad handling...but I'll take your word for it.

At that price, I really fail to see why somebody wouldn't simply unscrew the factory stuff and ziptie them up high as I did. I fail to see the reasoning...but I guess having adjustable disco's when lifted is probably great when reconnected for onroad use...but for a non-lifted TJ...the expense simply makes no sense to me...yet.

For now...I'll take my $208 and spend it on some camping gear.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hey Rob, I've driven with and without the swaybars and I'm in a TJ too. At first I thought it would be ok to go without them, then i had to swerve, nearly rolled :rolleyes: I will never go without them on the road again. That being said, it takes me like 15 seconds to disconnect/reconnect with my Teraflex discos.

If I were you, I'd find some way to just get by for now, chances are the lift kit you buy will come with quick discos.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
lars said:
I'll have to disagree. I can definitely tell when a stock Jeep has the sway bar connected or disconnected.
I didn't post it previously, but that is DEAD ON. Stock TJ coils are SOOOOO soft, the shocks are SUPER soft too. Any stability adding trinket should be left on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be going to NSOR today after work.

Not that I want to screw anybody over price-wise...but I did mention bc4x4.com last week when I was there, and the price was $208.

Is there a secret handshake or something? ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
382 Posts
why would you pay 200 or even 100 when they can be made in 30 min with a few bucks in metal.
it takes me less time with my home made discos than it did with the store bought ones.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If yer talking the cotter-pin solution...I've searched for the right sized pins, and I've failed miserably. Of course...that was before I actually had the factory bolts out so they could be measured. I guess I should try measuring them now, eh? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

·
Registered
382 Posts
i cut mine in half took one end welded a pc of dom to it slid the other end in drilled a hole for one of those quick pull pins and then bolted it back on.
like i said save your $$$$ if you like i can meet up with you so you can have a look.

·
Registered
192 Posts
bushbuggy said:
why would you pay 200 or even 100 when they can be made in 30 min with a few bucks in metal.
it takes me less time with my home made discos than it did with the store bought ones.
True, very true. definately a ton cheaper. Maybe you should take some pics, write instructions and have larry throw it on the YJ faq or something. I just liked how the JKS ones tightened up my front end. - Even though I didn't find that out until AFTER I bought and installed them, it was still a plus.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If yer around tomorrow...email me and we'll try to hook up. Tonight is not good.

Btw...I work in Burnaby and am free between 3:30pm and 5:30pm usually.

Cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quick Discos

What the hell is 'dom' tubing? and where could I find some. I just replaced the links on my Cherokee with stock ones cuz of cost... (stock = $40 NAPA) so a chop isnt gonna hurt to bad. But $200 for after market discos... thats freakin insane!!! Not outta my pocket Nuh uh!!
I like the idea of making my own tho....
Who was it thats done this little MOD? I like to see your directions and follow through with somthing that will work. Not just do a $40 chop n toss.
Thanks in advance
Merv

·
Registered
418 Posts
disco's

I'm interested as well. when I put my 3" lift kit in my front sway bar was banging into the springs.sport truck sold me extended links by pro comp for $70.00. I think I can picture what you have done,but a couple of pics would be great!
thanks,scott

·
Registered
397 Posts
How does this work?

Chris -

I've seen this "TJ econo-QD" mod written up all over the place, and every time I look at a photo of it I wonder how on earth the pin and the tab on the axle stand up to long-term use?

I'm assuming that there's only the one steel tab on the axle that the pin goes through, right by the handle on your hitch pin, and that there isn't another one on the other side of the link bushing. Is that right?

If so, won't the (tapered?) hole in the tab (and the shank of the hitch pin) oval out pretty quickly? There's really no lateral pressure holding the pin's flange against the tab, so I imagine it must wiggle up and down quite a bit every time you turn a corner, and probably rattle quite a bit as well...

Did the factory setup have a tapered stud in that hole, with a nut holding it in place?

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.