BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im pulling my 2.3l from my 83 ranger and im at the distributor and connections, i waas told the gear teeth need to be marked to be exact, can anyone terll me what kind of precautions and what way i should go about removing it?

------------------
Randy "Memphis" Ranger
I wasn't STUCK!!!!!!...I was TRACTIONALLY CHALLENGED

·
Registered
55 Posts
if your are gonna be installing it in back in the same block, then you want to mark the dist at the base of it, where it dissapears into the block. this is because when you unclamp the distributer from the block, the distributer moves and will advance or retard the timing depending on which way you spin it. you also want to mark where the rotor is pointing when you remove the dist cap. dont rotate the engine and youll be able to put the dist back in the exact same spot.
the actual proper way to do it is to ratate the engine until the line on the harmonic balancer and pointer, points at zero. make sure the distributer rotor points at the number one plug wire. if you dont rotate the engine reinstallation is easy. if the dist is going into another block than dont worry about anything just pull it out. try that . good luck.
Originally posted by RandyRanger:
im pulling my 2.3l from my 83 ranger and im at the distributor and connections, i waas told the gear teeth need to be marked to be exact, can anyone terll me what kind of precautions and what way i should go about removing it?

------------------
if you cant lift it, slam it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts