BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you ever go out at night to trails you already know?? I thought the lookout on Eagle would be cool at night, but I don't know if its a good idea. Is it ever done?

------------------
1990 Ranger
8.5" of lift
35" MudKings
full ugly steel/checkerplate bumpers
Locked rear
Lots of fun!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Yes, we go wheeling at night. More difficult and makes old trails like new again. Depends on what kind of mood we are in as to where and when we go. I have found the best times to night wheel are during the summer due to the nice clear sky.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
237 Posts
This time of year I wouldnt dare try.

The rainy weather and loss of vision at night is a deadly mix, which is going to cause a rollover, which would really suck on a muddy, or wet rock trail. If you do go, go with a bunch of well equipt rigs. Full recovery Gear, Just in case.

Just my concerns.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires 1" body lift
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've run the NPT trail at Mcnutt at night on many occasions as well as Camel Trophy , McNave, The Stave Mud Flats(when I was an Idiot), Eagle, Vedder Mountain, and some others I care not mention.

Just have some good lighting, and use common sense. These trails do take on a new personality at night...

Spooky, but quite fun!

------------------
CJ-5 Foolinjected 350, Lifted, Locked, 8274, Yada yada yada...

[This message has been edited by Pussy (edited October 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think almost everyone has wheeled at night. Sometimes you plan to, sometimes it is by accident.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

Jeeps don't have "things"

·
Registered
387 Posts
WOULD AGREE WITH THAT!!
WENT TO PULL A BUDDY OUT LAST NIGHT ENDED UP DOING SOME NIGHT WHEELING IN THE NORTH OK! MAN DO I NEED TO WIRE UP MY 4X4 LIGHTS!!!! HAVE 4 ON A LIGHT BAR THEY WERE BRIGHT FOR THE 15 SECONDS THEY LASTED. BEFORE I BLEW A 30A FUSE

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good reply Paul

Relays,Relays,Relays!

------------------
CJ-5 Foolinjected 350, Lifted, Locked, 8274, Yada yada yada...

·
1,269 Posts
I dislike the poor visibility offered at night on new trails, especially tough ones. It leads to custom body work. Familiar trails are pretty fun to run at night though, specially when its too dark to see the mud flying through the air and everyone gets real dirty

------------------
86 toyota, 6", 35s, and a garage full of parts. (my beast)
Mods? Well I hold my CV boots together with zap-straps.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Tradition has it with my group of wheelin buddies, that at some point(well past bedtime) some idiot always says "MIDNIGHT RUN!!!" and off we go, willing or not.

------------------
1990 4 Runner...tall, tippy, and purple.

"going around is NOT an option!"

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
wheeling familiar trails at night is awesome, just remember to have good lights and to keep the speed down

------------------
-'85 XJ,2dr,4cyl,5spd,31x10.5's,2"lift,onboard air. hmmm, extra cab,short box XJ anyone?
-'82 J-10 Project truck, 258 straight 6, 5spd, 30x9.5's
"its not what you drive, or where you drive,
its driving what you have to where you want to go"

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally posted by crazyguy:
wheeling familiar trails at night is awesome, just remember to have good lights and to keep the speed down

I did the Herd the Turtles Pre-Poker run last year at night. It was an awesome experiance expcept for the fact that I hit a log and managed to break my tie-rod of my knuckle. And there was no speed involved in this one. But I would do it again anytime.

I have also done eagle ridge at night in the summer and winter, both are awesome adventures and the lookout was awesome in the summer and even better in the winter when we had the snowfall down here.

I knew both trails real well and it makes them a whole new trail at night. Unless your equipped and an experianced wheeler, I wouldnt recommend doing a night run on an unknown trail. Do the ones you know a couple times first and then start adventuring to others not as well known. This is will only increase by experiance.

Ryan

------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ahhh I think Im the only..Actualy I know Im the only person in my group of friends that smiles when thinking about all our Rainy night runs to stave. Now I cant go anymore, well atleast no one else will come out with me unless my girlfriend comes too... I`ll explane..for the last few years stave has been a friday night , saturday morning-sat night, then back for sunday morn, till night. for a while, no one minded trying to unstick me all night, but eventualy everyone got sick of trying to get my truck out at 5 am on a monday morning, on atleast 7 times I remember us all going home, showering, then straight to work (sometimes I dint go to work,but I know they all went), I know 5 times We worked on unstucking myself till the wee hours of a monday morning, and had to leave my truck out on the flats.. In this last year we usually only get to Stave after dark on a sunday night, And I dont leave till I feel Ive had enough fun (I never have enough fun). I enjoy getting stuck, and breaking things, I feel Im not wheeling hard enough if im not breaking things, and Im being a pussy if I dont go deep enough to get stuck. So now the girlfriend part...when she comes out..shes the boss, she hates getting stuck, hates sleeping in the truck, hates wading in mud to get into somone elses ride home, therefor when she comes I behave like a pussy, the deal is my truck doesnt come out at night unless shes in it too. or no-one comes with me to play...........but damn I loovvveeee a good midnight run........with out her..

------------------
White 88 Ford F 150, Long box, 96 Front clip,Carburated and Points ignition 302 Solid axle Front, 14`` Suspension lift, 39.5 Swampers, 1179 RTI------ UNDER CONSTRUCTION 86 Ranger Extcab, 351 v8 9`` Rear (full width)Dana 44 front(full width) Spooled front and rear, 4 corners on coils, undetermined lift height, Will roll on 35x16 Boggers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your opinions guys. I am getting pretty familiar with the Eagle Ridge run, and I'm thinking I might have to conquer her at night some time in the future. I have a pretty capable rig, and plenty of lights (Hella 500 lamps). I think that as soon as my friends get comfortable on that trail that we will go try it out at night. It sounds pretty cool though!

------------------
1990 Ranger
8.5" of lift
35" MudKings
full ugly steel/checkerplate bumpers
Locked rear
Lots of fun!

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts
I have always loved wheeling at night, alone or with someone else.. I have pulled a few stupid stunts, but i NEVER exceed what I know i can do alone. That's where my trusty come-a-long/200' of chains and towropes comes into play.

I just go whenever i get the itch, and yes, it's usually at night. I encourage it, just do be cautious

------------------
Formerly "Ranger Nut"...
'87 Ranger prerunner.. now sits lonely in a truck yard for weeks on end...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts