1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/images/mysigs/tf1.jpg
1. Bend the drag link.

/images/mysigs/tf2.jpg
2. Stabilize the vehicle and find someone to do the dirty work.

/images/mysigs/tf3.jpg
3. Optional step: Use a Jackmate with the Hi-Lift to lift the vehicle on uneven ground. Use a Maasdam Pow'r-Pull to try to steer the wheels since drag link is now useless.

/images/mysigs/tf4.jpg
4. Straighten out the multitude of bends by using a length of chain and the Jackmate.

/images/mysigs/tf5.jpg
5. Sleeve semi-straight drag link with a sawed-off section of Hi-Lift jack handle.

Serves 1.

ps: To avoid this type of repair, try this:
/images/mysigs/tf6.jpg
I'm pretty sure that's Jon's next project. ;)

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baby Joe said:
lol
Now there's a writeup :)

How'd that turn out? How long did it take? Limp home alright?
About 2 hours...half the time spent swatting mosquitoes. Jon 'wheeled for the rest of the day like that and then drove home. Maybe I should've made my tie rod and drag link out of Hi-Lift handles.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can I opt for the "carry a spare" option? :D

Cool innovation though...nice pics and writing.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
lars said:

About 2 hours...half the time spent swatting mosquitoes. Jon 'wheeled for the rest of the day like that and then drove home. Maybe I should've made my tie rod and drag link out of Hi-Lift handles.

...lars

LOL Thanks Larry. See that's the downfall to going on runs with you. When I screw up it becomes instant public knowledge :D

I've known for years that the original D30 steering linkage wasn't up to the task of pushing 36" TSLs and a locker around but that's the first time I've bent anything. That drag link survived RIP, Doomicon, Morningside, and a number of other 4+ trails but this little section proved to be too much.

I've got the parts of home for the high steer conversion but other projects always seem to get in the way. I've sleeved that drag link with some 1" tube for now. The highlift handle still fits overtop :D :rolleyes:

On the plus side, I'm told I might be the first person to complete that section trail. Larry ran it after I did and (thanks to his high, steer conversion) didn't bend anything. He made it look easier than I did. Armin L. tried it next in his CJ with 38's but ended up bending his drag link in the same spot I did (Armin also runs the stock D30 stuff - with 38" TSLs and a front locker).

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jeeponrock said:
On the plus side, I'm told I might be the first person to complete that section trail.
AFAIK, you are. Maybe Greg Sue can confirm this. It was a lot easier for me to go next after you proved that it was possible and even then, I was hesitant. But fortunately, my supreme 'wheeling skills allowed me to get through without any damage. ;)

Larry ran it after I did and (thanks to his high, steer conversion) didn't bend anything.
I didn't bend anything because I didn't back off of the first giant rock like you two guys did (I took a slightly different line at the beginning). Although if I did, you're right, I wouldn't have hit my drag link. ;)

...lars (sloppy seconds)

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
192 Posts
jeeponrock said:
I've known for years that the original D30 steering linkage wasn't up to the task of pushing 36" TSLs and a locker around...
Hey jon, is that whole front-end a d30? You're right though, that steering looks like it needs to be beefed up. Great trail repair guys.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Rude said:

Hey jon, is that whole front-end a d30? You're right though, that steering looks like it needs to be beefed up. Great trail repair guys.
It's a D44 with '79 CJ "big brakes" and 6 bolt hubs. It's equivalent to a Scout D44 front axle but CJ widetrack width. I used the stock D30 linkage and had plans to upgrade but never got around to it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice. ;) Sounds like a beefy high-steer setup should be in the works. Speaking of which, who's rig is in that last picture? Is that larry's? I'd love t osee some pics of that rig being flexed on the trail. Send them over. (especially since it looks like the oil pan gets bashed by the diff under compression. could be the angle of the picture though)

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rude said:
Speaking of which, who's rig is in that last picture? Is that larry's?
Yes.

I'd love t osee some pics of that rig being flexed on the trail. Send them over. (especially since it looks like the oil pan gets bashed by the diff under compression. could be the angle of the picture though)
If you're trying to hurt my feelings, then mission accomplished! ;) No, the diff doesn't even come close to contacting the oil pan. No worries there.

I don't have any flex shots handy so this one'll have to do:
/images/mysigs/tf7.jpg

Or this one from the Rockcrawl:

With the Teraflex Revolvers installed, the shocks are now limiting my droop.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Human Stacking

BTW Everyone.... Thought I should warn you that if you run trails with Larry, you should know that he is adamant about stacking rocks. Larry beleives that you should use rock stacking as a very last resort. He's even willing to lay down and provide traction before he'll toss a rock under your tire...

/images/mysigs/tf8.jpg
lars has edited this post to improve the photo quality

1 - 13 of 13 Posts