BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a light bar soon. I was just wondering ,I need to drill some holes to attach the lightbar, do you need to apply anything to the drilled hole to avoid future rust, and from water entering the holes? What should I use ...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
NO! do NOT use silicone, as it dries it has a chemical reaction that causes rust. very bad. there is something like silicone to use but I cant remember what it is, urethane works good however from my experience its a pain use

------------------
-'85 XJ,2dr,4cyl,5spd,31x10.5's,2"lift,onboard air. hmmm, extra cab,short box XJ anyone?
-'82 J-10 Project truck, 258 straight 6, 5spd, 30x9.5's
"its not what you drive, or where you drive,
its driving what you have to where you want to go"

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by monzter:
If there's paint between the silicone and metal how can it rust?
This doesn't really answer your question but I think silicon contains acetic acid. Might eat into the paint. Will definitely help corrode the metal faster. Actually...I don't think it will eat the paint. I've used it to seal around my rocker armour and corner guards with no ill effects (been like that for several years on the corner guards).

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you guys ever figure out what can be used as a sealant on bare metal?

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by crazyguy:
NO! do NOT use silicone, as it dries it has a chemical reaction that causes rust. very bad. there is something like silicone to use but I cant remember what it is, urethane works good however from my experience its a pain use

The name of the stuff your talking about is "NP 1", although you cannot buy it at Home Depot or any place like that, they do carry similiar products. It is messy to work with , but well worth it.

------------------
If you can't stop....
smile as you go under!
99 XJ, 8" Sky-Jacker coils,leaves,yadda, yadda, yadda, 10" total 33"x12.5" MTR's = Divorce (?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.