BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

okay i think that everybody needs to know that last weekend at stave lake mudd flats i was hit by a truck and now everybody is talking about the fact that it is not safe from drinkers. you are right and wrong, there are a lot of people that go out there to drink and play in the mud but as far as i know drinking was NOT part of the problem... the fact that the driver shouldn't have been driving in the first place (wrapped up foot) and when he can out of the truck he didn't smell drunk to me.

on friday night we were going to go up eagle and there was a change of plans cuz two stupid guys ,both with very able rides, with more money than brains, were stuck.... first the one than the second when trying to drive past the first to tow from the back just to get stuck himself. now the whole road is blocked and we had to get them out before we could go up.

the fact is that no matter where you go there is stupid drivers in trucks that are too big (too much power) for them to handle.

i have enjoyed going to stave too long too stop going there now. the fact that there are stupid drivers out there, it will not stop me from going there. i will not be pushed away by one dumb driver....i hope that people will still be up there.

............just keep your eyes open for the unexpected and a SILVER DODGE

..........Vibe

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by vibe:

okay i think that everybody needs to know that last weekend at stave lake mudd flats i was hit by a truck and now everybody is talking about the fact that it is not safe from drinkers. you are right and wrong, there are a lot of people that go out there to drink and play in the mud but as far as i know drinking was NOT part of the problem... the fact that the driver shouldn't have been driving in the first place (wrapped up foot) and when he can out of the truck he didn't smell drunk to me.

on friday night we were going to go up eagle and there was a change of plans cuz two stupid guys ,both with very able rides, with more money than brains, were stuck.... first the one than the second when trying to drive past the first to tow from the back just to get stuck himself. now the whole road is blocked and we had to get them out before we could go up.

the fact is that no matter where you go there is stupid drivers in trucks that are too big (too much power) for them to handle.

i have enjoyed going to stave too long too stop going there now. the fact that there are stupid drivers out there, it will not stop me from going there. i will not be pushed away by one dumb driver....i hope that people will still be up there.

............just keep your eyes open for the unexpected and a SILVER DODGE

..........Vibe

I guess with all the drinking out there we all just assumed the guy was drunk. There are a few (seems like a lot) people with too much money and too few brains to learn how to drive their trucks. It's too bad. Glad to hear you aren't going to let the accident stop you from going back.

Well...there is no mistaking my dodge for Silver

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
391 Posts
Drinking and driving is just plain stupid, wheather your on road or off road.
Its the drunks out at stave that are eventualy gonna get that place locked up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i agree i just dont think that we should stop going cuz they are there, i think that if we keep going and dont let them take it over than maybe they won't close the place. i have a lot of great memories from that mountain side and i really want to continue going there. dont get me wrong most of the sober folks leave when the drunks really show how drunk they really are. if we help keep it clean then maybe the worst they will do is kill each other. i like camping in the area and i really dont want it closed.

............Vibe

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
i agree i just dont think that we should stop going cuz they are there, i think that if we keep going and dont let them take it over than maybe they won't close the place. i have a lot of great memories from that mountain side and i really want to continue going there. dont get me wrong most of the sober folks leave when the drunks really show how drunk they really are. if we help keep it clean then maybe the worst they will do is kill each other.
Sorry, Vibe, but the presence of sober people is not going to do much to alleviate the negative effects of drunk drivers acting like idiots. I also think that area's days are numbered. Like I said before, it's the party atmosphere that attracts them and the fewer people there, the less of an attraction it is. Of course, that's just my theory. The only thing that would discourage them, maybe, is if you started giving them sh*t but of course, that will probably start a fight. <g>

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why cant the guy at the booth be checking for booze..i mean he is there anyways, why can't he stop the booze from coming into the park at all?

i just think that maybe there is a way that we can keep it open... i like going there and it would really suck the big one if they locked the gate.

.............vibe

·
Registered
395 Posts
ONE THING YOU CAN DO IS NOT PULL THE DRUNKS OUT OF THE MUD WHEN THEY ARE STUCK.THEY CAN'T DO MUCH HARM IF THEY CAN'T GO ANYWHERE!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by LOUDFOOT:
ONE THING YOU CAN DO IS NOT PULL THE DRUNKS OUT OF THE MUD WHEN THEY ARE STUCK.THEY CAN'T DO MUCH HARM IF THEY CAN'T GO ANYWHERE!
hehehe......

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that wont work cuz they will always be able to pull each other out, some of these trucks are reall nice they just are to stupid to realize that they will be the reason nobody is aloud up there anymore.
you are right though.....it might be a good start.

.......vibe

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by LOUDFOOT:
Good Idea, unfortunatly they usualy have plenty of drunkin friends with them.
why cant the guy at the booth be checking for booze..i mean he is there anyways, why can't he stop the booze from coming into the park at all?
That guy is just a security guard not a cop, he has no authority to confiscate booze out of someones rigs, he'd get knocked out if he tried that. He's there so B.C. hydro(the land owner) knows who's comin and goin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

That guy is just a security guard not a cop, he has no authority to confiscate booze out of someones rigs, he'd get knocked out if he tried that. He's there so B.C. hydro(the land owner) knows who's comin and goin.

[/B]
why don't they have the right to take it away?? if you go to a party at a hall (private owner) security has the right to take it before you go in or you dont go in! how is it different out at stave.

........vibe

[This message has been edited by vibe (edited October 11, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by vibe (edited October 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why don't they have the right to take it away?? if you go to a party at a hall (private owner) security has the right to take it before you go in or you dont go in! how is it different out at stave.
The difference is the bouncer at a party is usualy a huge roid monkey whos job is to take your booze(or bust your head), I really doubt BC hydro would put their gaurd in that position.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
why don't they have the right to take it away?? if you go to a party at a hall (private owner) security has the right to take it before you go in or you dont go in! how is it different out at stave.
B]

Having alcohol in your vehicle (say in the box or trunk on a legal road is perfectly legal. The gatehouse is on a legal road.
Drinking in a public place (such as the flats) is illegal and then athorities can do suff. But realize, do you think an RCMP officer or an entire RCMP detachment is going out onto those flats to do anything about it? Not if they value their lives.
They will just make a call to Hydro and you will find the gate to Florence FSR closed and locked. As with many gates in that area, keys will be available to the public for $40 from the Mission District Works yard.
I have talked to hydro guys in that area (helped change their flat tires). They intend to close and lock the gate if the public starts to cost them money or cause them problems.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just dont want what happend to me to have people thinking it should be closed, there was no use of booze in my case just a stupid driver.

........ vibe

·
Registered
539 Posts
hi hon

Stop and think what would happen if the little old security guard (or heven for bid right now, the guy with the turban) tried to take the booze away from a bunch of dunk ********....

I shudder at the thought

oh and most of the time the best boggers (all the bronko's with 44's) are the ones drinking so not pulling the out wouldn't help

I don't know what to suggest, its the same everywhere, the few ruining it the rest, Hmm?

------------------
BIG ASS black/chromed YJ, 11" lift 35" tires, 400hp corvett engine

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, by law the security guard cannot take away the alcohol, but, he can refuse to let them enter bc hydro property with the alcohol in the vehicle. The security guard works for the land owner and can turn anyone away.
And the guard booth and the blacktop on the way into the area is all owned by bc hydro. At one time the road ended there, until hydro came in and built the Dam and paved the road.

------------------
97 TJ stock with Big Foot 31's, C.B., mud-BAD > rock-GOOD

·
Registered
138 Posts
From the one time I have been to Stave, I realized that the majority of the people are drinking out there. Even I must admit that I had a few beer the last time I went. Doesn't mean I'm gonna hurt someone. There are responsible drinkers. The worst I did was get my truck really really stuck. As for the people I noticed that were binging, they were loud maybe ignorant, but I don't see them as being a threat to the safety of other wheelers. On top of that, I was rather impressed by the respect the people had for the land. I never once saw somebody throw a bottle on the ground. I'm sorry about what happened to vibe, but that was case of pure 100% stupidity. (my 2 cents)

------------------
'85 4runner, 6' suspension lift and 35' mudders (my baby)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by girlwithtruck:
I must admit that I had a few beer the last time I went. Doesn't mean I'm gonna hurt someone. There are responsible drinkers.
I'm sorry but responsible drinkers dont drink and drive, even if its out at the flats. How do they get home? You dont see many designated drivers. Ask anyone that has killed someone from drinking and driving and they'll tell you they didnt think they were gonna "hurt someone" either. I dont want to come across like some anti-drinking activist or party pooper, I just dont think 4wheelin' and alcohol mix. It just serves to reinforce the negative stereotype placed upon wheelers...Drunkin' ******** tearn up nature. Save your beer for afterwards.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well said Monzter!

That goes for smokin' up as well. Isn't it enough to be out wheeling great trails without the use of booze or weed?

If you like to drink or smoke dope...fine, but if you believe it necessary to enjoy your day of wheeling, start looking for another sport!

------------------
CJ-5 Foolinjected 350, Lifted, Locked, 8274, Yada yada yada...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by girlwithtruck:
From the one time I have been to Stave, I realized that the majority of the people are drinking out there. Even I must admit that I had a few beer the last time I went. Doesn't mean I'm gonna hurt someone. There are responsible drinkers. The worst I did was get my truck really really stuck. As for the people I noticed that were binging, they were loud maybe ignorant, but I don't see them as being a threat to the safety of other wheelers. On top of that, I was rather impressed by the respect the people had for the land. I never once saw somebody throw a bottle on the ground. I'm sorry about what happened to vibe, but that was case of pure 100% stupidity. (my 2 cents)

ya your right that my case was cuz of a "stupid driver" rather than a druck driver but you must have miss alot if you didn't see the empties, hell there was guys just throw it anywhere. "SH_T", i saw some drunk throw his BOTTLE into a mudd pit. they really don't care. do you really think that it would matter if they killed somebody??? NO, hell if they looked at the guys that are out there, they shouldn't be aloud to drive at all, on or off road, it really wouldn't matter if they lost there license(if they still have it) they will continue to drive. it's the drunks that really don't care about anybody but themselves

Sorry guys but i really think that they will be closing stave soon and thinking about it i guess i'll be looking for elsewere to camp and 4x4. i don't want anybody else to get hurt out there but it WILL happen again.

[This message has been edited by vibe (edited October 12, 2001).]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts