BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question #1

I am planning on doing a clutch this weekend. Some of the boys at work have informed me that instead of focusing my attack from the t-case and tranny end, to pull the engine and replacing the clutch that way. I have done a clutch before in an S-10 and it didn't phase me one bit. I do realize that the tranny and t-case weight a lot more in the Ford, but I planning on renting a tranny jack.
I have access to a shop full of tools and supplies which include a cherry picker for the engine. Have any of you had problems with pulling the tranny and t-case? Maybe it's the fact that the head mechanic is 5'5" and weighs in at $1.30. Give me some feed back. Truck stats are below.

Question #2

Have any of you put on 35" tires on an F-150 with only a body lift? I have a line on some cheap 35" BFG muds (90%tread for $700 obo) and have a parts connection. The entire cost of the bigger tires and body lift is the same price as new 31" BFG ATs (which I am also gonna do by next week. I am unsure as to what problems I might come across running bigger tires and a body lift. Will the inline 6 be able to power the meats? How about on the highway in 5th? What about tire clearance in the fender wells. Right now I simply cannot afford a suspension lift. I am open to all opinions and ideas.

If any of you have first hand experience in either of these subjects, I would like to talk on phone. Time is of the essence here boys and girls as I start summer holidays on the 15th of june. Just email me.
Thanks, Steph.

------------------
'92 Ford F-150 Inline-6.
Stock drivetrain, leveling coils, 31's, cd, cb, K&N filters and those chrome trucker girls on the back window, dedicated Beer cooler.
P.S. Where can I get performance parts for my Inline-6?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Clifford performance in California has the inline six hop up stuff

As for pulling the engine to change the clutch????????? the thing is called a TRANNY JACK. and a late model F150 has the Mazda tranny and Borg transfer...... All Aluminum and WAAAAAAAAAAAY lighter than that boat anchor Six.

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota
Soon to require a Mile -per - year speedometer http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just pull the tranny and T case.. it took me all of about a 1hr to 1 1/2hr to pull mine and i had no tranny jack. took about the same to toss it back in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you have the new style definately pull the tcase and tranny, its easier and faster. the aluminum is not that heavy..also on the newer motors you have all the extra crap to unhook like the fuel injector lines and all that wiring
but in the case of my older f250 i pull the motor to get at my clutch, its a lot easier, and my tcase weighs a ton...plus the wiring takes about 20 second to unhook

------------------
77 f250 460 4 spd, 60's f&r, 38 swampers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for the info, I might do a little report for the archives. I'm starting it tonight and will finish it tommorrow. I will pull the t-case and tranny for sure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's sunday night and I'm back at home from the shop and I have a nice new clutch. I didn't have any help the whole weekend except for a few hours yesterday. I will have pictures of the ordeal sometime soon so check back if you're interested. I may post it in "chit chat". I have a few new tricks for some of the good ol' boys at work thats for sure.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
As per your Question#2, don't just play around with a wimpy body lift, it doesn't help articulation nor does it provide you with a higher clearance under your t-case. To fit 35" BFG's you will need a 4" suspension lift and 3" body lift. But a 4" lift kit costs the same as a 6" lift, so who's kidding who here. I got a wicked 6" lift for sale that will fit 80-96 ford f150/bronco's and only takes about ten hours to install. It's pretty cheap too, I'm only asking $1800, for everything, then you can stuff 35's uder your rig. A 300-6cyl with 3.55 gears won't be able to turn those big meats. I have had two 96 f150's both running 33's. One of them had a six cyl. witha five speed, in order to use fifth gear i would have to go about 120km/h, my other f150 had a 302V8 with a 5 spd. Even this V8 with a JET chip, K&N filter, and flowmasters couldn't hold fifth on the highway @ 100km/h. Well good luck, if you are interested in the lift, check out the 4 sale adds on here....peace out!

------------------
matthew desteur

·
Registered
302 Posts
35's and a six with a 5sp - you'll need 4.10's plus to spin 'em. Currently I'm running a 81 Bronco 76 300HD 33s t-18 4sp and 3.50 gearing and this puts me at 2400 rpm @ 65mph (100kph) which is just right for a six with OD you'll need lower gearing to make it useful. A good place for info on I-6's is
http://pub41.ezboard.com/ffordsixcylinderperformanceforumfrm12

1 - 9 of 9 Posts