BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i swap my motor for a 13b rotary, will the transfer case and tranny all have to be changed as well, how about with another motor swap maybe a gm or ford V6?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by jwvroom:
if i swap my motor for a 13b rotary, will the transfer case and tranny all have to be changed as well, how about with another motor swap maybe a gm or ford V6?
A GM or Ford V6 will weigh more than the rest of your suzuki LOL! A bigger 4 makes more sense, and will have a lot less fittment headaches. having a divorce mounted Tcase like the sami is perfect for engine/trans swaps. find a motor you like, and swap it in, with its own trans. you may have to move the T case back a bit. A 22R Toyota is a pretty popular swap, and shouldn't overwhelm your drivetrain as bad as a V6. Nissan DOHC truck motor would kick ass, or the 240SX variant. I happen to have one of those sitting around waiting for a similar project
about 150HP&TQ. Nearly 3X the stock samurai. The cheapest would likely be a 22R, as there are thousands of them in Toy trucks and cars just waiting to be used. For something a little more compact, and higher strung, the 1.6L 4AGE from a mid 80's Corolla GTS. Not an ideal rock crawler, it will still stomp the crap out of a suzuki motor. If you have $$$ and want a V6, get a Grand Vitara setup. The rotory isn't much good for crawling, if thats what you have in mind. Great on the highway, and for mud bogging, totally opposite to the suzuki, actually. Neat motors, but better suited to racers and cars, where you can rev the crap out of it all the time.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a ford v6 in mine. it fit good, no body lift. minor trany tunnell cutting, move tcase back an inch. and it isn't as heavy as you would think, in fact i bet is is lighter than a toyota 4clyinder. btw, what does the toyota weigh, i can't seem to find the info anywhere?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the main thing i want to find out is did you use the same trans, and t case? will it handle more power or is it going to eventually just break, and have to be swapped out eventually? right now im thinking of making mine a 2 wheel drive with a 13b 6 port rotary and using an rx7 or rotary truck trans. or maybe with that motor since not too much torque keeping it 4 wheel drive and fabbing an adapter for the suzuki drive train and everything.
mainly i just want to find out what options there are out there, and how much has to be changed and how much i have to have custom built. thanks for any help

·
Registered
419 Posts
If your thinking about putting a 13B engine in it along with making it a 2WD I'd suggest putting an RX7 rear end in it aswell, it will widden out the backend or you can get it chopped down to stock samurai size for you, but the gears inside it are a lot stronger than the samurai's. My mom works at the Abbotsford Mazda in the Auto Mall, and the mechs there were saying that if you've got a core 13B engine, you can bring that in and get a rebuilt one for between $1500 and $2000. I'd much rather do that, it will save spending mucho $$$ later on. I'd also suggest putting a whole new cooling system in it, because once they start to overheat you start to cause major damage inside the engine (more than a normal piston engine would encounter). Well thats my two cents.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just put a Sidekick rear end in your rig knock off the coilspring mounts drop on a set of leaf spring plates and you have a larger stronger rear end that has a center drive shaft perfect for rear wheel drive also you can get 4.62 or 5.31 gears

1 - 6 of 6 Posts