BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run a dual battery set-up in my toyota. If anyone has done that could you give me some info. Also a bigger alt. I have now 6 Piaa light, warn 8000 winch, also stero. Or will dual batter be good. Thanx.

------------------
1989 toyota,35" MT/R,Locker,solid axle,Bobbed bed 10",revolvers,4 piaa 5" lights

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm running a dual battery setup.
One battery works the engine and accessories and the other works the winch. This way I can winch until the battery is dead if I want to and still start the truck back up.
They are isolated from each other and both charge of the factory alternator.
Bigger is better in the alternator department but stock will do fine because the winch will draw far more amps than any alternator can produce. But a bigger alternator will re-charge faster.
But I have to ask why you need 6 extra lights on the truck? Thats 8 in total!
Is it for looks?

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a good deal on the lights so I bought them. It is a little over kill but I find when I am on the trail I all way do not have light were iI need them. I am putting two facing back, four are going on my roll bar two on my front bumper. I do not care what people think about my rig,I am not tring to look cool I want my truck to look different than all the other toyota.

------------------
1989 toyota,35" MT/R,Locker,solid axle,Bobbed bed 10",revolvers,4 piaa 5" lights

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If your not running all the lights at once your factory alternator should be ok.
The most important thing with a dual battery setup is how you want to isolate them and what you want each battery to run.
When my main battery died I even got the chance to boost myself with the other battery.
Now that is one handy feature I like.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts