BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon going to be in the market for a new exhaust, but don't know much about it. My truck has a stock 360 in it(no emissions equipment). I plan on changing all the exhaust including headers. Which give better low end power(dual or single)? what size would be best. At the moment it has what's left of a single 2" exhaust.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Well off course a dual exhaust with a crossover would be the ideal. It all depends how much room you have.

I went with a single exhaust because I needed the room between the frame rails for my fresh water tank, propane tank, air tank, and aux. fuel tank. :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you have to go single why not 3" pipe instead of 2", sounds better too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I Just did an exhaust on my 302-powered 88 Bronco from the cat back. I went with a single “Flopro” aluminum muffler. Love the muffler but I’m wishing I had of went with a dual system. If you are doing a truck do it right the first time. I’m now going to have dual system installed and it’s going to cost a lot more than if I had of had it done right in the first place!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone seems to agrea that dual is better. Does the gain in performance warrant the extra cost of haveing 2 of everything?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Some time dual is less expensive than a single because of the y-pipe, mine has no emissions control, just two pipes from the manifolds with two small mufflers, and tucked up nicely to keep them away from the rocks.

--------------------
78 3/4T 350 chev

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
my friends chev 350 has, no cats headers, dual exhaust, flowmasters and 2.5" pipe and its fu*ken loud. it all does depend on room, and it can get torn off while on trails or in rocks, so u might want to consider the type of wheelin u do and see if the exhaust will get torn off, if not. go dual.:D i think u need some back pressure to, so 3" isn't always the best, because u need back pressure for torque right.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I run 2 1/4" duals out my ride. I found regular style mufflers tend to grab rocks as they go by. So after two sets of regurar mufflers (Proflo/ Walker turbos) I've gone with 'cherry bombs'. Just a set of thrush mufflers between the motor and the tips:D . They are cheap, small, round, SOLID, and resonably loud.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL. I'm sure Cherry Bombs are greay on your V6, but They might be a bit loud for a 360 :p

Ground clearance wont be a huge issue. My truck is going up in the air many inches :D

How do you figure that dual is less expensive than single? there is 2 of everything.

I am thinking either 2" dual or 3" single.

·
Registered
325 Posts
let me get this right, you can put a dual exhaust on a truck that is supposed to be only single exhaust???

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Jarett said:
How do you figure that dual is less expensive than single? there is 2 of everything.
Single exhast needs a Y-pipe. Dual doesn't need it...but it CAN have an X-pipe for better performance.

No matter how high it is, you want to keep the exhast from dropping down as much as possible. If you have lots of room (and money) for for dual with an X-pipe.

·
Registered
387 Posts
well a single 3" sounds awsome with a flowmaster, not to loud but deep!
cherry bombs to loud? i have a buddy running dual bombs on a 304 v8 cj5, sounds awsome, probably one of the nicest sounding exhausts i've herd!!!!!!!!!!!
if i were you i could go with a dual 2 1/2" and daul bombs!!
if you do not like cops giving you a hard time DO NOT go with anything loud, cops love nailing loud trucks!!
all depends on your cash flow!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Jarett said:
LOL. I'm sure Cherry Bombs are greay on your V6, but They might be a bit loud for a 360 :p
I don't know how well dual 2 1/4" exhaust would work on a six, my guess is OVERKILL, and NO backpressure at all.
Have you heard the phrase about 'Assumption' ?? :p

The 'bombs' in my truck make the Injected 5.0L sound fairly horny, especialy shifting outa first at 6K.:D :p :D

If you want quiet go with a baffled glasspack, small & strong, but WAY to quiet for my liking (my moms Exploder was louder).

I told the exhaust shop I wanted a throughty sound, I took my truck back before I got around the block and had them swap the baffled glasspacks for 'cherry bombs'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts