BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have information on dual dana 20 t-cases? articules,sites or pictures? thanx

------------------
74 bronco 302np435np205
d44/9"4.10lockersndiscs35x9x16

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by saddlesore:
does anyone have information on dual dana 20 t-cases? articules,sites or pictures?
No info on dual D20's, but here's an article on a D20 + NP205. It's a Jeep but it's running a Ford drivetrain: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/waterman/waterman.asp

There are two other dual-tcase how-to articles in the BC4x4 wrenching section: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/wrenching.asp

...lars

------------------

[This message has been edited by lars (edited January 09, 2001).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've checked them all. The Cold Duck is the least expensive unless you make your own. With the early Bronco you have to keep in mind driveline because of the low pinon of the 9". And all of the dual cases I've seen still use the Dana 20 output shaft. It's an old, stressed, not available new output shaft. I'm not talking about home made the economics and the outcome are different but if you buy the cheapes, the Cold Duck, Your still going to have $1200 plus invested and will probably need to change drivelines. Then your stuck with the old output shaft trying to hold together under stress's it was never intended to take, because you can:> )
For those reasons I've decided on the Atlas. I'm told it's stronger than the 205. It's the just about the same price as the JP Eater gears or the KluneV. Terra-Low has a set of gears for the 20 case out now that I think is around $800. But after the gears, shipping and a bearing kit your still going to have $1200 in it and an old output shaft. I feel it's better to wait a few months, get a part time job and do it right the first time.

------------------
Professional Cheese Taster with the ability to satisfy many fine women at the same time----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Heres my nutty idea.

I've got a married 435/205 combo, a chevy (right hand output) married 205, and a divorced Ford 205.

Take the input shaft and adapter off the married ford 205, put it onto the chevy 205. Now you have a right side output transfer case. Take out the front drive of that transfer case, you dont need, it. Mill off the right side of the case too, and make a flat plate. Or leave it and run a PTO winch off it.

Bolt it onto your transmission. Now stick the divorced case in the middle of the truck, making front and rear driveshafts the same length, and interchangeable. With the Chevy case getting the front cases front output out of the driveshafts way, you can actually hood a driveshaft up to the front axle now.

I suppose you could always use the ford married case and remove the front output and mill the case off too, I never thought of that, and I was also concerned about having a stock case to instal if I wanted too.

Of course this only works for you if you dont mind having that extra driveshaft for the divorced case. Its only a couple inches long, I dont think its gonna break too easy.

------------------
Dan
-91 Cherokee, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5's
-69 Ford, lots of lift, 38.5's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts