BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much work is involved with mating a 203 and a 205 t cases together
i see them in 4x4 mags all the time but havent seen how they do it and i have both cases and want to mate them together

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
First off, what kind of truck are you putting them into? By your name it sounds like you have a jeep, and if it's a wrangler style jeep, you're going to be pressed for space to put them I think, unless maybe you're running a shorter engine....

·
Registered
63 Posts
ORD's product is well done. The manual is a little sparse, but the actual product is top notch.

Disassembling the 203 is easy, as is putting in the new shaft. Then just bolt them together.

The only problem I had was lifting the dam 203/205 combo off my workbench once they were together, and hoisting them up into the truck. It weighs a ton.

Works great with the twin shifter, and it's always nice to have another gear.

Tim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
WOLF359 said:
[...]The only problem I had was lifting the dam 203/205 combo off my workbench once they were together, and hoisting them up into the truck. It weighs a ton.
Tim: a hint: install the NP203, then install the NP205. Don't try to do it together. Either case is heavy enough on its own.
:)

--Rob

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rob,

I've now installed and removed the 203/205 combo together about 6 times, so I'm getting pretty good at it. :D

The only real mishap was once when it slipped off the tranny jack and landed on my shin. I made up swear words for that one. :angry

Tim

·
Registered
55 Posts
WOLF359 said:
I've now installed and removed the 203/205 combo together about 6 times, so I'm getting pretty good at it. :D

The only real mishap was once when it slipped off the tranny jack and landed on my shin. I made up swear words for that one. :angry

Tim
Even Chris won't do both T-cases at once! But on the Blazer, we have to install the NP203 before the NP205 anyway, so it's not an issue there.

Ouch re: shin. That stuff is heavy enough to break bones!

--Rob

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re details to what is going to happen.... I hven't been on latley dso sorry if people put the wrong information down its a 77 chevy pick up and i have a 203 and a 205 that i want to bolt together ca this be done?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
jeepp said:
re details to what is going to happen.... I hven't been on latley dso sorry if people put the wrong information down its a 77 chevy pick up and i have a 203 and a 205 that i want to bolt together ca this be done?
Did you even bother to read any of the posts above? :confused2 :rolleyes:

Yes it can be done. How easily it can be done depends how much money you have, which tranny you're using and which versions of the NP203/NP205 you have.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Anything 'can be done'.
What are the input spines on the NP203 & NP205??
ORD recommends the 32 spline NP205 (TH400). NP203 shouldn't realy matter unless its a 10 spliner.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya i did jus was wondering if there was any feed back on how it works and if it was trong or not
jeeponrock said:

Did you even bother to read any of the posts above? :confused2 :rolleyes:

Yes it can be done. How easily it can be done depends how much money you have, which tranny you're using and which versions of the NP203/NP205 you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, it's strong.

An alternative dual-t-case setup is the Brabnod Mountain Gearbox, using gears from an 18-wheeler tranny... and the gears in the NP203 and NP205 are bigger :) Brabnod's web-site seems dormant, but Google is your friend...

I have no hesitation putting this combo behind a Chev small-block. Others have put it behind even bigger engines, but I don't have experience there. Axles and driveshafts may need upgrading though :O

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I know the 32 spliner is recomended, but, has anyone tried the Dodge 23spline, Chev 27spline, or Ford 31spline NP203's in there swaps (and disciplined them)??

·
Registered
145 Posts
i was thinking of doing the same thing for my chevy but i contacted JB conversions in the states and found out that they have made a 3:1 kit for the 205. they are testing it right now. should be out shortly, ( 6 months is what they told me). they have put me on a waiting list and when it is on the shelves they will send me a price and order form. all i had to give them was my name and input gear spline type.

steve

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm currently putting together a FORD 203/208 setup ... beauty is if the 208's I have don't last the 205 is a direct replacement (all three share the same 31 spline input and six bolt circular mounting pattern) the biggest problem is the rarity of the Ford married 203 (used on 78 & 79 auto with full time option only). But I did find one, just need to find some place to make the adapter plate (Rob, can you guys make them or are they farmed out work?) and then have the shaft cut and splined.
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts