BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
i think it works out to about the same price by the time you factor fuel, exchange,duty, taxes etc. plus if you buy here your supporting local business. what kind of tires are you looking for?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I picked up 5 Iroks brand new about a year ago and had no issues at all. They will make you go in and pay GST and PST though. Also make sure you print a receipt from your email confirmation because some companies don't always send one with the package.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i think it works out to about the same price by the time you factor fuel, exchange,duty, taxes etc. plus if you buy here your supporting local business. what kind of tires are you looking for?
I guess it all depends on what tires you are buying, because when I picked up my Iroks the difference in price was huge. I can't remeber the exact price but i believe I paid $1100US for 5 36" bias plys.

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
has anyone gone accross the line to washington to pick up or purchase tires before?? if so how did it work out for you?? how much duty did u pay if any? was it worth the hassel? Thanx

adam
youll only pay pst gst. duty (5% iirc) is on products that arent made in NA...but its not often charged on items that should be charged. its up to the customs person to determine whether they ask you or not. saving money is never a hassle. that said, have you checked around the local shops? what tires are you looking at getting? you might be able to find something that makes crossing the boder a moot point...especially if you only save 10% or so, since you'll still have to M&B up here...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Keep an eye on nation of manufacture. There is a 25-30% duty on tires made in China now as I understand. ie Interco LTB....

·
Registered
396 Posts
has anyone gone accross the line to washington to pick up or purchase tires before?? if so how did it work out for you?? how much duty did u pay if any? was it worth the hassel? Thanx

adam
I got lucky when I bought my iroks from 4wheel parts, I came back into BC from Sumas (www.shiphappenssumas.com) on a Friday night and the border guard took my paperwork and said have a good weekend. The bucks I saved in taxes (no duty) went to buy beers.

When the CDN dollar is high, like now, it is worth the time to shop around. I waited for a deal and saved about 20%, which went towards the purchase of a cheap smittybuilt winch.

WW

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was considering the same thing, although I would probably drive an old set over, have them replaced in WA, and drive back after hitting some gravel roads or something.. Anyone have any good reasons why this might be a bad idea?

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
I was considering the same thing, although I would probably drive an old set over, have them replaced in WA, and drive back after hitting some gravel roads or something.. Anyone have any good reasons why this might be a bad idea?
not a problem if you're doing this legit and spending a few days there with your family of 5. you dont want to know why that practice might be a bad idea. some have done it and gotten away with it...you definitely dont want to be the one that doesnt get away. im sure the cdn customs are aware of this trick. a brand spanking new set of non oem (read: bigger) tires on an old beater tend to stick out some...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Guess it can depend where you buy the tires locally as well. I went to kal tire the other day to get a few quotes. A set of 265/75r16 bfg km2s would cost me $1500 m+b.

The same tires from the states would be just under $1000 but of course you need to take duty,taxes, having to m+b up here at my cost etc. all into account. I have gotten lucky with not having to pay anything at the border in the past. It's all a crap shoot really...

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
discount tire in bellingham calls canada customs from time to time to tell them that you are going home with new tires on your truck. fyi

i've bought 3 sets of used tires privately in wa state. every time i do it i print up the craigslist add before going down and get the seller to write a bill of sale on the back to declare what i payed him for them. then they just charge me pst and gst based on what he wrote down.

i bought a set of 37" tsl's for $600 u.s. with 90% tread, a set of 33" bfg mud terrains with 80% tread for $300 and my current mt/r's with 80%? for $400. no hassles or problems. the tsl's were still a deal of a lifetime for me.

if you were to buy a set of asian made tires then you might need to pay some duty too. are toyo and nitto u.s. made?

·
Registered
122 Posts
i bought a set of 37" tsl's for $600 u.s. with 90% tread, a set of 33" bfg mud terrains with 80% tread for $300 and my current mt/r's with 80%? for $400. no hassles or problems. the tsl's were still a deal of a lifetime for me.

Man those are some wicked prices. I've been laid off and poor for quite awhile, I need to find a deal like that. Tires here are a ****ing rip off!

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
i'm not exagerating on those price either. watch craigslist bellingham. that's where i found every set.

if you are layed off then you would even have the time to take it a little further to seattle. tons of tire deals there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Take a trip to the Dunes in Oregon! Bought new tires for our 06 Jeep Commander, nothing fancy just stock all terrain replacements, good years i believe (gf's ride so I don't pay much attention). No state sales tax and by the time you cross back into Canada they look well used. We paid $450 mounted and balanced. Everywhere in Van was quoting $750+ for no name tires (Commander uses an oddball stock size, not much selection).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really want another set of toyo's. i just sold my set of 37x14.50r15's to a buddy with rims and 90% tread for 1500 because i switched my diffs to 3/4ton and the 15's were usless to me. to get another set in 16's here in the okanagan they want 2000+. i can get them accross the line for 1600 shiped to warehouse in orville.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Keep an eye on nation of manufacture. There is a 25-30% duty on tires made in China now as I understand. ie Interco LTB....
I also heard Interco was making tires out of Indonesia. I just ordered a set of 33x10.5 boggers that could take 12 weeks to get :eek:mg:. I also heard that denmen the company who makes ground hawgs locked their doors with a lot of interco stock still inside, because they lease it for 4 months a year. i would phone Dalton at tires+ in mission, also try MSA ford cause there is a dude whos a member of the HoT who works there, can't think of his name Atm (think its john or something), he might be able to work a deal with you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
if you buy auto parts on your truck or car in the states it will be duty free if your car needed that part to be able to return home. So saying that if you can prove that you needed to buy a set of tires and have them installed to be able to drive the vehicle home legally. And any used items are both tax and duty free if you can prove it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I always get taxed 12%

As a matter of fact I am leaving in an hour to pick up my 37's&rims (used) Should be the same old 12%.

$400 for 37" toyo muds & bitchin aluminum wheels (17's) I'm not complaining about tax. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.