· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what is goin on up at eagle ridge?:cwm23:

· Registered
668 Posts
Got this email today......

An informal update on proceedings:

Through discussions with the golf course, we have determined that they do not want to assume liability for damage or maintenance. The City proposed to assume liability by way of a putting a statutory right of way on the road and establishing it as either a public access road or dedicated road. The golf course has not yet responded to this proposal, but further discussion is expected this week. We will continue to try and get cooperation from them on this issue until the end of the week before exploring alternate solutions .
It is important to keep in mind that the City has no authority over private property (the golf course, access road, BCTC right of way). Nor can the City condone or encourage trespassing on private property. However, we are doing what we can to facilitate a legit access to the trails and find a workable solution for all involved.
BCTC has begun construction of their wall. If attempts to get the road access permit fails, we may look into other creative ways to get 4x4 users around the gate, but deter those engaging in illegal activity (eg. build something that 4x4 users can use to drive around the gate, but is difficult or impossible for others intending to abandon vehicles, start fires or dump debris?). We cannot simply open the gate as there is an extreme fire risk associated with illegal activity in the area.
If either the road access or gate workaround solution comes to fruition, we could exclude the access road from the Section 58 restrictions.
Presently, RCMP are only ticketing destructive activity such as dumping, fires, and abandoning vehicles. They are not enforcing the restrictions on recreational users until we finalize the access issue.

Melony Burton AScT
Engineering Technologist
City of Coquitlam
Infrastructure Management
[email protected]
P: 604-927-6313
F: 604-927-6229

· Registered
833 Posts
Thanks bobby. I was just going to copy and paste the same e-mail you received. So it seems like we have some very dedicated people with the City of Coquitlam that are quite determined to achieve the goal we all want. The one thing I'm left to ponder after reading this e-mail is: "Presently, RCMP are only ticketing destructive activity such as dumping, fires, and abandoning vehicles. They are not enforcing the restrictions on recreational users until we finalize the access issue."

Does that quoted line mean that Eagle is still open for us to use in the meantime? I haven't had time to get up there. Does anyone have any current info.?

· ultimate web wheeler
2,365 Posts
Thanks bobby. I was just goijg to copy and paset the same e-mail you received. Si it seems like we have some very dedicated people with the City of Coquitlam that are quite determined to achieve the goal we all want. The one thing I'm left to ponder after reading this e-mail is: "Presently, RCMP are only ticketing destructive activity such as dumping, fires, and abandoning vehicles. They are not enforcing the restrictions on recreational users until we finalize the access issue."

Does that quoted line mean that Eagle is still open for us to use in the meantime? I haven't had time to get up there. Does anyone have any current info.?
i read that as well. to me, that sounds like its good to go. of course, if you're engaged in destructive activity such as dumping, fires and abandoning vehicles...then yes, you'll be ticketed. have no idea about this 'wall' though...maybe someone local can head up and scope things out.

· Superfly
8,229 Posts
Got this email today......
[snip]
BCTC has begun construction of their wall. If attempts to get the road access permit fails, we may look into other creative ways to get 4x4 users around the gate, but deter those engaging in illegal activity (eg. build something that 4x4 users can use to drive around the gate, but is difficult or impossible for others intending to abandon vehicles, start fires or dump debris?).
The mere mention of an alternative such as making a 4x4-required bypass is refreshing to hear. It shows that they're definitely listening to ideas put forth by 'wheelers.

...lars

· Registered
833 Posts
The mere mention of an alternative such as making a 4x4-required bypass is refreshing to hear. It shows that they're definitely listening to ideas put forth by 'wheelers.

...lars
You're very correct Larry. That meeting we had at Coquitlam City Hall was very productive and I'm sure left everyone concerned with a good feeling when we walked out. And most especially when we on the mailing list received positive news via Melony Burton so quickly.

It's all good. It'll work out.

· Registered
1,335 Posts

...lars
That is cool. If it were successful then it might be a great example of how to close off areas to the dumpers and still allow access to wheelers for the future.

· Registered
8,068 Posts
They obviously aren't trying to hard keep the wheelers out..... or else they haven't learned from all theo the barracades that get driven around/over.

· Registered
668 Posts
More good news from Melony Burton....

"Good news. The golf course has agreed to give the City of Coquitlam a statutory right of way on the access road. We are meeting with some local 4x4 group representatives and Mike Peters (Ministry representative) to determine the best key program options for the gate.

Melony"

· Registered
668 Posts

· Premium Member
236 Posts
The city is being super co-operative right now! I broke my front output on my tcase and they gave us a key at 9 last night so my friend could come extract me.

Thanks to Melony and the city for setting this up !:cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.