BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is an automated RSS feed from the 4WDABC Site:

On Monday, the City of Coquitlam invited the 4WDABC and several local off-road club representatives to participate in an open discussion and provide feedback on a proposed key access program that the City is preparing for presentation to council. The following is a summary of the meeting.

Attendees:

Dana Soong, City of Coquitlam
Melony Burton, City of Coquitlam
Mike Peters, Ministry of Tourism, Culture & Arts
Kim Reeves, President 4WDABC
Chris Grant, Vice President 4WDABC
Wil Girindra, North Shore Off Road
Vince Hilgerdenaar, Coquitlam Crawlers
Mike Salo, South Coast All Terrainers
Mike M., South Coast All Terrainers
Steven Tetu, Coastal Cruisers

Purpose of Meeting: To discuss key program options and access issues for the Eagle Mountain Gate.

Discussion:

1. Introductions

2. Background Information
- access to all is the intention of the program, no favorites or special treatment is to be given.

3. Key management program
- who manages the program, city discussed 4 wheel club reps being designates for signing out keys, all 4 wheelers present didn’t feel that this would work. Issues, no enforcement clout, keys copied, lost, loaned, etc.

- a suggestion to include a sticker program along with a key was made which both the City and MoTCA had not considered but thought it might work.

- city managed program, deposit taken, ie 50 dollars for the first year of key and sticker, 20 dollar annual renewal for key and new sticker. Sticker would be stamped with the year, perhaps changing colours yearly for visibility, sticker signifies consent to code of conduct and legal access. City also has more clout for warnings to violators. All stickered vehicles would essentially be ambassadors to inform and educate about the key and sticker program.

- key/sticker program available during regular City hours of operation.

4. Information and requirements for obtaining key
- drivers license, deposit, code of conduct form signed, information package read …

5. Emergency contact
- it was felt that the city should be the emergency contact for anyone who found themselves behind the locked gate.
- information package would be given on the key program and a warning issued.
- No fine is being proposed as that would deter a legal exit from the gated area.

6. Protocol
- no trepassing on the following:
- Golf Course
- BCTC, hydro lines
- watershed protected area
- other sensitive areas

7. Staging of vehicles
- BCTC is erecting a concrete wall on the east side of access road and leaving room for a single row of parking spaces. This situation will be monitored but it wasn’t considered to be a major issue. There will be no vehicle parking passed the gate!

8. Signage
- City of Coquitlam will erect a sign with the legal notice and key management program info.
- Metro Vancouver Watershed will also be signed.

9. General Discussion
- City of Coquitlam and MoTCA would like a copy of “Tread Lightly” manual/guidelines as well as the “Wheeling Wisely” and will prepare their own informational guide based on the info.

10. Action Items and next steps
- City will erect legal notice sign and lock gate. They will formulate what was discussed into a proposed policy and approach council.

The City expects the proposal will be adopted by Council within a month.

The Four Wheel Drive Association of BC looks forward to continued participation with the City of Coquitlam, MoTCA, and other government agencies to help identify and become ambassadors of policies and procedures that result in sustained access to trails and areas in the Province of BC.

Kim Reeves - President, 4WDABC
Chris Grant - Vice President, 4WDABC

Jump to original article at www.4wdabc.com.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
wow that almost sounds promissing
It actually is very promising. For the 4x4 community to have the opportunity to have a mountain area for off roading usage in an urban centre like Coquitlam is fantastic. We can't screw this up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It would be a great coup if we could get Blue Mountain/ McNut back as well. I hear the Association is working hard on that matter. Can't imagine how overgrown Blue must be by now, without the daily vehicle traffic that used to be up there.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
It would be a great coup if we could get Blue Mountain/ McNut back as well. I hear the Association is working hard on that matter. Can't imagine how overgrown Blue must be by now, without the daily vehicle traffic that used to be up there.
it would be wicked to get back into mcnut its been a long time since ive been up there

·
Registered
666 Posts
Woot!! This is awesome news. ( email from Melony below)
Now it is up to us, the 4x4 and trail user community that is, to respect this initiative.

PS: Melony,(IMO) deserves a huge shout out for her continued support and advocacy on our part. :beer_cheers:

"Hello,
Things are coming along and good news to report.
BCTC (BC Transmission Corporation) has started construction of the barrier to the Hydro Right of Way. The legal notice is being posted today, and the Section 58 restrictions for the Managed Area are now enforceable by RCMP. The access road has been removed from the managed area and we have gotten approval from the Golf Course for a public right of way. It will take about a month to formalize that agreement. We have a verbal ok to use the road in the meantime, so please be respectful of our Golf Course and BCTC neighbours. The City will be administering a formal key and sticker program shortly which will be available to all users. This may include a deposit, waiver and responsible user information handout. That too will take a little time to get in place. In the meantime:
The gate is locked and posted with a City contact number for a key.
The gate must be locked after entry to prevent unauthorized access.
If you get stuck behind the gate, please call the Customer Service number on the sign posted on the gate. Do not trespass on Golf Course property or the managed area.
Please do not park or unload vehicles inside the gate. If necessary, unload and leave any transport vehicles on the shoulder of the public access road before entering. Be aware of BCTC barrier construction and do not block access for their work. If you have been unloading at another location (dirt bikes, atv's) without complaints, then it would be preferable that you continue to do so rather than at this location.
Once the formal key program is in place, the lock will be changed and you will be required to get a new key through the program for access. It is preferred if we can keep the traffic and key dispersal to a minimum at this time until we can get things in order.
Thank you for your cooperation,

Melony Burton AScT
Engineering Technologist
City of Coquitlam
Infrastructure Management
[email protected]
P: 604-927-6313
F: 604-927-6229

·
Registered
831 Posts
It actually is very promising. For the 4x4 community to have the opportunity to have a mountain area for off roading usage in an urban centre like Coquitlam is fantastic. We can't screw this up.
You make an excellent and very valid point Wil. I really hope that people keep that same frame of mind so we can all continue to enjoy that area and the fruits of our labours (and those of Melony, Mike, etc.).

PS: Melony,(IMO) deserves a huge shout out for her continued support and advocacy on our part. :beer_cheers:
I just received the same e-mail from Melony and you beat me to the posting of it Bobby. Thank you. But my real point is: Yes, I agree. Melony has been a really great advocate and hard worker that has dedicated her energy to our benefit. I talked with her the night of the meeting in Coquitlam, and she's not even a 4-wheeler. Kudos to Melony and a big thanks to her. I think we should all do something for her, Mike and the others that have made this progress all possible in such a short amount of time. Even just a simple thank you card can go a LONG ways.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
it would be wicked to get back into mcnut its been a long time since ive been up there
That was the first place I went wheelin.. also the first time I drove a standard haha was good times.

You make an excellent and very valid point Wil. I really hope that people keep that same frame of mind so we can all continue to enjoy that area and the fruits of our labours (and those of Melony, Mike, etc.).
I just received the same e-mail from Melony and you beat me to the posting of it Bobby. Thank you. But my real point is: Yes, I agree. Melony has been a really great advocate and hard worker that has dedicated her energy to our benefit. I talked with her the night of the meeting in Coquitlam, and she's not even a 4-wheeler. Kudos to Melony and a big thanks to her. I think we should all do something for her, Mike and the others that have made this progress all possible in such a short amount of time. Even just a simple thank you card can go a LONG ways.
I agree! Something to show our gratitude and thanks would be cool indeed!
Definitely.. wonder what beer ..err..uh..wine? she drinks.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
It was both Dana and Melony that worked on this. The best gift we can give them is by making this program work. Spread the word about using this area properly and keeping off the golf course!!! If you see people screwing this up call the cops.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I offered Melony and Dana (and Mike Peters) to hop in and we'll take them up to the ridge on an upcoming nice day. I'm not sure about Mike, but the City staff haven't been up there yet -- even though they (Dana at least) did try to using a City pickup. :shakehead:

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
It was both Dana and Melony that worked on this. The best gift we can give them is by making this program work. Spread the word about using this area properly and keeping off the golf course!!! If you see people screwing this up call the cops.
Amen to that! They're sticking their necks out for us so let's make sure we do our best make them never regret their decision to help us.

We need to get out of our comfort zones and be willing to report anyone who is screwing this up for us, whether they're fourwheelers or not.

You need only read some of the anti-4x4 rants surrounding the Sooke land access issue to understand that the jackasses driving 4x4s are our worst enemies.

...lars

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Amen to that! They're sticking their necks out for us so let's make sure we do our best make them never regret their decision to help us.

We need to get out of our comfort zones and be willing to report anyone who is screwing this up for us, whether they're fourwheelers or not.

You need only read some of the anti-4x4 rants surrounding the Sooke land access issue to understand that the jackasses driving 4x4s are our worst enemies.

...lars
Anything I hear about gates opened or keys issued to responsible wheelers is hopefull. Never been to Mc Nut or Eagle but please respect the rules around these areas for those that do run these trails...it means something to everyone who set's foot on trails with rubber.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I was up there today with a couple of other heeps, great day, flipped one rig but no leaks or any real damage. This was my second time up there the first being the last snow fall. Anyways I was disapointed to see a couple of fresh cut trees at one of the lookouts. Seems some idiots were having a fire, I don't understand this kind of mentality. Whatever.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.