BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is an automated RSS feed from the 4WDABC Site:

Today, we received an informal update from the City of Coquitlam in regards to Eagle Mountain:

• The golf course does not want to assume liability for damage or maintenance.
  • The only way for the City to assume responsibility for liability and maintenance is to get a statutory right of way on the road from the golf course. The Golf course has not responded yet to this proposal. The City will continue to try and contact them on this issue for an additional week before exploring alternate solutions.
  • The City has no authority over private property (the golf course, access road or the BCTC right of way). However, we are doing what we can to facilitate a legit access to the trails and find a workable solution for our user groups and property owners. The City cannot condone or encourage trespassing on private property.
  • I believe BCTC has already erected their wall (I am going up there this afternoon to look for myself)
  • If attempts to get the road access issue resolved fails, we may look into other creative ways to get 4×4 users around the gate (i.e.build something that 4×4 users can use to drive around but is difficult or impossible for others) and may enlist the help of 4×4 groups or individuals to do that. We cannot open the gate to all users as there is an extreme fire risk associated with illegal activity in the area.
  • If either the road access or gate workaround solution happens, the access road could be removed from the Section 58 restrictions and only the managed area would be enforced
  • Presently, RCMP are only ticketing destructive activity such as dumping, fires and abandoning vehicles. They are not enforcing the Section 58 restrictions on recreational users until we make some further progress regarding access.
Thanks,

Melony Burton AScT
Engineering Technologist
City of Coquitlam
Infrastructure Management
[email protected]
P: 604-927-6313
F: 604-927-6229

We received news from another contact that the “wall” has indeed been erected.

The 4WDABC recognizes the committment on the part of the government agencies to establish a successful access model for this area and we are committed to working with the City of Coquitlam and all of the land tenure stakeholders to secure continued four wheel drive recreational use of the Eagle Mountain trail system.

Jump to original article at www.4wdabc.com.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
would that be accessible by "stocker" folks as well or only for the lifted and lockered?
Good question. Since I never made it up the trail yet due to ice and snow, I also don't know if a stock vehicle could make it up -- let alone get past an entrance that hasn't even made it to a discuss yet.

I do know where you're coming from and I would guess that if allowing a stock vehicle thru means many cars get in also that the City will not build that type of obstruction.

My 2-cents at least.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
this is very interesting. i dont live in coquitlam and dont visit eagle so it doesnt concern me personaly but has they city considered what the effect of extra trafic would bring to the area? makes you wonder how the local residents feel about this. with good sometimes comes bad and hopefully the place will not turn into another blue mountain, strawbery island or stave lake flats. seeing that it is even closer to mainland, that is a possibility.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
this is very interesting. i dont live in coquitlam and dont visit eagle so it doesnt concern me personaly but has they city considered what the effect of extra trafic would bring to the area? makes you wonder how the local residents feel about this. with good sometimes comes bad and hopefully the place will not turn into another blue mountain, strawbery island or stave lake flats. seeing that it is even closer to mainland, that is a possibility.
Maybe the traffic is already there and they want to add a few bumps to slow down some of it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The city knows that the traffic is there already, as is the golf course. I think they have come to the realization that gating access only prevents access to the users that you want on the trail systems. It leads to things like by-passes over private property, like fairways.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Why would the residents object? No access would mean no one can clean up the garbage some of them dump there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
well hopefully it will work out. we just have to wait and see. i know if i was a resident there, i would not be in favour.

not to sound like an ass....... but I'm going to anyway.

I know we all have to get along and respect these people in their neighborhoods, but they have to do the same with us. I've been wheelin and dirt biking up there long before there were any houses up there. I even did some track days when the race track was there. (gravel road used to start at what is now pinetree way and david ave.)

hopefully all parties involved in this realize that this was a well used recreational area long before the residents and golf course were put in. I'm willing to do my part and respect others who live and use this area and I would hope that this would be reciprocated for all other users of this area.

·
Registered
314 Posts
not to sound like an ass....... but I'm going to anyway.

I know we all have to get along and respect these people in their neighborhoods, but they have to do the same with us. I've been wheelin and dirt biking up there long before there were any houses up there. I even did some track days when the race track was there. (gravel road used to start at what is now pinetree way and david ave.)

hopefully all parties involved in this realize that this was a well used recreational area long before the residents and golf course were put in. I'm willing to do my part and respect others who live and use this area and I would hope that this would be reciprocated for all other users of this area.
This is an excellent point and one that needs to be made time and again.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
My understanding is that neighbours complaining has not been a serious issue. If you look at the entrance we have been using on the golf course right of way there are only a small number of condos that are directly effected. The powerlines themselves are quite sheltered from the residences. The main road up is a very busy street with bus traffic.

·
Registered
525 Posts
on the creativity side of things, you could construct an obstacle similar to whats seen in many rock crawling events, the concrete pyramid, just gnarly enough to make people look at it and go "im not effing my car up to get over that" but not so gnarly that you risk injury (both personal and vehicular)

·
Registered
802 Posts
That might stop a stock 4x4, but you can bet the jerks driving stolen vehicles will just view it as a challenge on Friday night. Then the legitimate 'wheelers heading up on Saturday morning will find the guardian blocked by a stuck, burnt, stolen vehicle.

I applaud the efforts of everyone involved and hope that a working solution becomes a reality.

·
Registered
666 Posts
More good news......

Good news. The golf course has agreed to give the City of Coquitlam a statutory right of way on the access road. We are meeting with some local 4x4 group representatives and Mike Peters (Ministry representative) to determine the best key program options for the gate.

Melony

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to side track, but I was just wondering if anybody knows where the trail leads when you stick to the left instead of turning to right to the Cypress (Eagle) Mtn viewpoint? I followed it once, but it got too narrow for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.