BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There I am hoping this is "Trail Talk" and not to "General"

I would like to plan an outing with my 8-year-old daughter as spring approaches. Still to cold for a canoe with her so I was planning a wheel and hike. Got to get her loving the outdoors whilst young

Question:
The East Harrison road to the hot springs, I have read a few articles and would like to know if:
- Is the snow still an issue?
- How hard\long is the hike from the parking lot to the Springs? I'll park the truck before the body crunching rough part of the road.
- Is that trail feasible for an 8 year old? She has done the Grouse Grind but I don't want her hiking more that 90 minutes to the springs - she has spunk but not endurance.

Know of Any good links with info on this trip?

The best times I have with her is when we go wheeling\camping\canoeing\etc. Always looking for day and weekend outings that will make her go "awe cool!!" Plan on showing her the Hedley Mines this summer.

------------------
Pony
90 4Runner 22RE 3" Body Lift 33's

"Nobody realizes that some people
expend tremendous energy
merely to be normal." ~ Albert Camus

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by pony:
Hey There I am hoping this is "Trail Talk" and not to "General"

I would like to plan an outing with my 8-year-old daughter as spring approaches. Still to cold for a canoe with her so I was planning a wheel and hike. Got to get her loving the outdoors whilst young

Question:
The East Harrison road to the hot springs, I have read a few articles and would like to know if:
- Is the snow still an issue?
- How hard\long is the hike from the parking lot to the Springs? I'll park the truck before the body crunching rough part of the road.
- Is that trail feasible for an 8 year old? She has done the Grouse Grind but I don't want her hiking more that 90 minutes to the springs - she has spunk but not endurance.

Know of Any good links with info on this trip?

The best times I have with her is when we go wheeling\camping\canoeing\etc. Always looking for day and weekend outings that will make her go "awe cool!!" Plan on showing her the Hedley Mines this summer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by jackpine:
oops, glitch sent that message before I meant to.

There is no longer any trail to speak of to the springs up the east side of Harrison lake. A road suitable for a lowered Honda now delivers you right to the springs. Saves some hiking time but definitely takes away from the fun of wheeling!!

Dave.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm really? Bummer here come the tourists!!! OK well I'd might as well be one. Is is easy to find? past bear creek?

------------------
Pony

expend tremendous energy

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
Went up to Clear Creek hot springs on a night run back in November. Man was it ever crowded up there. Half way up the road to the springs, we caught up to 2 dually pick-ups with campers towing trailers with ATVs on them! The tubs were very busy with lots of partyers.

I was expecting parts of the original trail to be open, but that was not the case. It took us only 2 hours to reach the springs from the Mt Lehman on-ramp to Hwy 1.

It is unlikely that you will reach the tubs at this time of year due to the access road being under a couple feet of snow.

------------------
Leo
Stock '01 Ford Ranger, BFG M/T's, custom dents and westcoast pinstriping.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Snow still!! arrgh.

Perhaps we'll go to wolf lake on the west side for now. Thanks for the heads up, didn't figure there'd be snow there still, but then I don't know how high the spring are.

thanks for the info

------------------
Pony
And cool looking, inexpensive fender flares thanks to Greg's tip :)

expend tremendous energy

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
The snow should be melted by the middle of April...then again, I could be wrong.

------------------
Leo
Stock '01 Ford Ranger, BFG M/T's, custom dents and westcoast pinstriping.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
127 Posts
Im not sure where that outside bar is but if its the one a friend of mine was telling me about its burnt down now. people with no respect for the outdoors just piss me off!!!

------------------
[email protected]
Coquitlam Crawlers Membership/Events Coordinator

90 F250 Dana 60 up front,welded rear,7.3 Diesel,3" exhaust,4" skyjacker suspension,3" body lift 38" swampers,cb and custom bumpers and nerf bars. You either make it or break it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went up to springs at Clear Creek a few weeks ago. Had to hike in a couple of miles to get to them. The logging road has numerous trees across it and the hillside has collapsed over the road in several places. Someone cut a path through several of the trees, but I still had to walk over 4 miles to get to springs. A huge tree (roots and all) fell the long-way on the road right above where the trail splits where you drive through the creek bed. You could probably get through the creek bed if you got a good truck. I dont, so I got stuck in the snow a few miles before this point. This was with a Suzuki Samurai with 29" tires and chains.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got back from the springs. Snow started @ 9km mark up clear ck road. I drove to 12k. I only had a f150 4x4, others with chains drove to aout 14k where a huge tree blocks the road. The springs are at 17k and were in great shape. An eight year old could make in but with the snow getting softer snowshoes are a good idea (there's about 2' - 3' at the springs. Now is a good time to go before the useage goes way up.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
way cool, thanks for the info, and especially those Blazer destinations

------------------
Pony
And cool looking, inexpensive fender flares thanks to Greg's tip :)

expend tremendous energy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.