BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any easy and inexpensive (under $100) that I could/should make to my 96 pathfinder to make 4x4in' better on the vehicle?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Go buy a high lift jack, great piece of recovery equipment. If you bury your vehicle to the frame, jack the truck up in thr air, tip the jack over, repeat until free. Also grab a tow strap and a cheap compressor and a tire repair kit. Maybe some rad hoses or other spare parts to carry.

Mike.

·
Registered
344 Posts
honestly

revocery gear is a good buy, but if u can save a couple hundred more and u don't already have a good set of mud tires i'd seriously look into that...check out the forsale section or buy&sell..might be able to find a set for cheap...probably not for $100 but mabye for $300...i'm telling u a good set of muds will go along way...

allan

·
Registered
802 Posts
Extended diff breathers $10
Full-size GM horn $10 from a wrecker
Tow hooks frt & rear if you don't have them $10 ea
Map books $15 ea, less your 4WDABC discount
Rock lights $22/pair incl switch & wire
Aux reverse lights $22/pair as above
Upgraded headlight bulbs $20-30/pair
Recessed valve stems $30 + install
Rear diff pumpkin hat $50 or so (requires welding)
4WDABC membership $30 ($15 pro-rated after July)
BCAA Plus membership $100 or so

For an idea on stuff to carry, check out http://media-north.com/4wd/checklst.htm

See you on the trail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A HORN!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, that is what I really need. I should have gotton a full sized GM horn for my corolla. :*******

Thanks guys

·
Registered
708 Posts
if you want cheap then put some 1-2" blocks in the rear and crank the T-bars up front. Or are the nissans IFS different again and u can crank the T-Bars?? and the na 2" bodylift

·
Registered
47 Posts
PoorMans4x4 said:
if you want cheap then put some 1-2" blocks in the rear and crank the T-bars up front. Or are the nissans IFS different again and u can crank the T-Bars?? and the na 2" bodylift
From '96 to the present, the Pathys are Unibody. Suspension lift only so instead of blocks, use coils. Yes, you are right, you can crank the t-bars up a tad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so what would a 2" lift cost me using coils? And what does cranking upthe T-bars do? Remember I am a newbie here....:soso

·
Registered
802 Posts
Cranking up the torsion bars pre-loads the bars, effectively making the front end of the truck sit higher. However, your A-arms still limit you to your original total amount of travel, so with the truck sitting higher you'll have less droop. And because of the additional pre-loading, you'll also have less compression. Your ride will also suffer; most noticeably on the trail.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh! I believe you have Struts up fron, not Torsion bars. The '96 and newer Pathys have Coils in the rear, Struts up front. AC 's suspension lift is 395.00 US.

Give North Shore Off Road (or is it 4x4? Fellas?) a call in Van. They can get you some pretty decent prices.

I'd really just get a new set of decent tires if your tires are worn. Then I'd spend the rest of the summer/fall/winter doing some wheeling. See what kind of trails you like to do, what type of wheeling you like to do, and then see if it's something you'd like to continue with before spending alot of money on mods.

Though, with the Suspension lift and 31's on a WD22 Pathy, that would look great!
;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clenchedtuna,

Thanks for the input and the info to contact North Shore 4x4. I think you have good idea. I'll do some whelling first and see it is something I want ot spend $$$ on the lift. My tires are in great shape right now, so I guess it is time to wear them out.

Got the new horn though. heheh, whatch out and don't piss me off! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since I am on the topic of horns, can anyone tell me why the 97 Pathfinder has two? Is one for the alarm system or something or is it to make the horn more effective - louder?

Just curious,

Mike

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's exactly right. Old full-size 1970's and 1980's Cadillacs and Buicks, and probably Oldsmobiles too, have FOUR horns. They sure take up a lot of space in the Toyota. :D

A friend installed four horns from four different vehicles into his car; when he hit the horn button it sounded like four different cars were hitting their horns at the same time. :*******

·
Registered
429 Posts
horns

The Majority of these horns (domestic) are pitch adjustable with a screw found on the horn housing
clockwise higher c.c. deeper:D :canadian

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
mrking said:
Clenchedtuna,

Thanks for the input and the info to contact North Shore 4x4. I think you have good idea. I'll do some whelling first and see it is something I want ot spend $$$ on the lift. My tires are in great shape right now, so I guess it is time to wear them out.

Got the new horn though. heheh, whatch out and don't piss me off! :D
It's North Shore Off Road, they are located in North Vancouver. Tell them you belong to BC4x4.com, and they will give you a much better price.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
remove your rear sway bar (antiroll bar) you probably won't even notice it's gone, your vehicle capability will greatly improve off road so it would kinda offset the cranked torsion bars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts