BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 sr5 4 runner the motor is a 22re from an 88 I am going to be installing my header tomorrow with 2 1/4 exaust, free flow cat and cherry bomb mufler, does anyone know how much horse power/torque I will gain?
What gear options were avalible in 85 on a 4 runner sr5, I`m thinking my gears are not 4:10`s when my speedo says I`m doing 67km`s I am actualy doing 80km`s I have 35"bfg muds does anyone know if that sounds right for 4:10`s or 3:56`s, I had a 83 long box with 35`s and it seemed to have way more power with 4:10`s.
And one more thing I can get brand new from national4wd, toy 8" 5:29 r&p gears for $258.00 does this price sound correct? or should I be buying them up (not installed).

[This message has been edited by snowman6971 (edited December 26, 2001).]

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well I can't help you with the horse power gain or you stock gear ratio.But the price you can get on the 5.29s is a good deal I paid $300 and something for mine.

------------------
86 4-runner 305,TH350,203,threelink front,6inch skyjacker rear.5.29s,lockers and more to come if I can save the money

·
1,269 Posts
You'll probably get a few horsepower out of a header+catback, more if you switched from a cherry bomb muffler to a flowmaster or similar style of muffler. Stock your truck most likely has 4:10s (I have 35s with 4:10s and that sounds about right), although it could be 4:37s. Go with the 5:29s for 300 bones, you won't be sorry. As for your other truck having more power, I've noticed that every 22r drives differently. For example, I have a carb'd 86 and I've whooped a number of other trucks that were fuel injected and had smaller tires (not that I go out racing or anything
).

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm pretty sure an 85 runner with a 5 spd would have come with 4.10's.

The 4.37's came in trucks/runners with auto trans. I'm not sure what years for that....

You could always jack the truck up, put a mark on your dshaft, one on the wheel, and rotate the wheel one complete revolution while counting revs on the dshaft. The revs of the dshaft will be your gear ratio.

------------------
Art

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I`ll do that, I`ve seen that once before but couldn`t remember how to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts