BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read that the 77EB 9" came with 31 spline axles. do they and would i be able to swap them into my 74 when i get my 31 spline detroit????

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA, 2.5" ranchos, shackle reversal, buggy springs all around, CV D-shaft, 35" BFGs, EB 9" rear, EB Dana 44 front, Warn XD9000i, 8 PIAAs, wet okole interior and several battle wounds from mother nature.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by cornjeeper:
i have read that the 77EB 9" came with 31 spline axles. do they and would i be able to swap them into my 74 when i get my 31 spline detroit????

At one time there was a discussion on this. I thought that a couple of the later years of EB came with 31 spline axles. I did some checking and found that they only came with 28 spline axles. However.....the big bearing 28 spline axles are plenty strong. If your not going to use more than say a stroked 351W and 38's you should have no problem. Besides, the 28 spline axles are stock, cheap and easy to carry as a spare. They weak link in that semi-floater is at the bearing not the splined end and with a big bearing rear end its the same either way.

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a smartassed punk----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

[This message has been edited by FearMe (edited May 07, 2001).]

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do i know if i have the big or small bearing axles. any measuring i can do???

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA, 2.5" ranchos, shackle reversal, buggy springs all around, CV D-shaft, 35" BFGs, EB 9" rear, EB Dana 44 front, Warn XD9000i, 8 PIAAs, wet okole interior and several battle wounds from mother nature.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I read in my magazie that has the history of the Broncos that the 77 indeed did come with a 31 spline axles. Not to sure how you will find them but good luck. Ill even check that mag again and repost what it says.

------------------
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT OUT

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by BRONCO BUSTER:
I read in my magazie that has the history of the Broncos that the 77 indeed did come with a 31 spline axles. Not to sure how you will find them but good luck. Ill even check that mag again and repost what it says.

As far as that notorious article, its been proven to be in error. Myself I sure thought the 76-77's came with them but nope.
As far as bearing size. You'll need to go to your local parts house. take a ruler. Have them show you a wheel bearing for any of the lower GVW EB's. Then get one for the higher GVW. Measure the race. I might have the measurements but in case I can't find them measuring yourself will have to do.

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a smartassed punk----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Basic Baboon
183 Posts
Originally posted by cwate:
(wish I had a better pic)
How's this?

--C.J Ford

[This message has been edited by CJ (edited May 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by CJ (edited May 08, 2001).]

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i took a peek and it looks like i do have the big bearings. sweet now i just need a detroit.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts