BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Unregistered Abuser
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel sending unit is toast and I was wondering if anybody has replaced their stock fuel sending unit (single connection/line) with something a little more common and with a return line built in to it ( ...might come in handy for a future TBI swap)? If so... what vehicle should I look for?

------------------
Ulysse
69-Bronco... running on empty all the time...

[This message has been edited by Ulysse (edited March 02, 2002).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
For what year are you looking, I have a sending unit out if an 86 F150, it has the fuel pump built in. Make me an offer if thats what your looking for.

------------------
86 F150 4x4 302 Winter fun
84 F150 XLT 351W Summer Fling

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysse:
My fuel sending unit is toast and I was wondering if anybody has replaced their stock fuel sending unit (single connection/line) with something a little more common and with a return line built in to it ( ...might come in handy for a future TBI swap)? If so... what vehicle should I look for?

Are you sure it is toast, my connector at the sending unit has given a lot of troubles, and after I repaired that the ground wire was the problem, then after that there was a wire broken in the harness near the connector. All of these things have happened over the last 8 years now. Just a thought.

About a sending unit with a return line you can put a "T" fiting in the filler neck and have your return line attach to that.

·
Unregistered Abuser
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Broncomania:
Are you sure it is toast, my connector at the sending unit has given a lot of troubles, and after I repaired that the ground wire was the problem, then after that there was a wire broken in the harness near the connector. All of these things have happened over the last 8 years now. Just a thought.

About a sending unit with a return line you can put a "T" fiting in the filler neck and have your return line attach to that.

Good point, as I haven’t traced the wiring yet...

Having said that I removed the unit a while ago, and I’m wondering if anyone might know how to bench test the unit? It looks like a rheostat attached to a float so I would think that you should expect a change in resistance as you move the float up and down...??

------------------
Ulysse
69-Bronco

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysse:
Good point, as I haven’t traced the wiring yet...

Having said that I removed the unit a while ago, and I’m wondering if anyone might know how to bench test the unit? It looks like a rheostat attached to a float so I would think that you should expect a change in resistance as you move the float up and down...??

That is exactly how it works, just use an ohmmeter across the two terminals and read the resistance as you move the float up and down. One way to check the wiring is to place a jumper wire across the terminals in your wiring harness and see if the gauge moves, if it doesn't try grounding the wire that goes to the dash ( or selector switch depending if you have dual tanks or not ).
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts