BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a UK member and a group of friends and I are coming to Squamish in July to hike the Elaho to Meager creek traverse trail if we can. Its not been done for 4 years as far as we know.
We will be accessing the start of the hike at Cessna creek in the Elaho valley which is where the FSR ends. The FSR is about 75 km long from where it starts 20 km from the highway at Brackendale, Squamish. We set out on the 6th July and aim to be in the Pemberton valley by the 10th July.
I'm looking for a 4x4 enthusiast who would enjoy taking 4 of us up the FSR to the start of our hike and possibly also recovering us from the FSR in the Pemberton valley near Meager creek (the first gate should be open in July and the second gate which is locked closed is very near the end of the hike).
We would of course cover all the expenses and make a financial contribution to cover the wear and tear expenses of the 4x4. We would also really enjoy sharing part of our adventure with you.
Thanks for reading this post!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a great experience even though we failed!
We hired Sean of Shred Shuttle with his 14 seater 4 X 4 van to take us 95 km off the Sea to Sky highway into the wilderness. Sean was a star and everyone's hero. He drove through everything and just kept on going to the end of the logging road just a km short of Cessna Creek. There was so much water in Cessna creek we couldn't cross without grave danger of diving in the process, so we camped and set off up the mountain the next morning to find where the creek forked and where there would be less water.
The terrain was very steep in many places and thick with undergrowth and at about 4 pm at 1150 meters altitude we were still 2 km short of the fork in the creek.
Progress was less than 1 km/hr and it was clear that we were way behind schedule and would not make Meager hot springs and Pemberton Valley within the 5 days we had allowed. So we turned back and camped for the second night.
More or less the whole time it was pouring with rain and at the higher elevations we found snow. But it was the wilderness, remote, wild and beautiful, but above all I was in the best of company with 3 of my family and 3 friends. Ages ranging from 40 to 72. Everyone was so cheerful in the worst of conditions and during the most arduous of hikes where we were pulling ourselves up the mountain on the undergrowth.
We sat phoned for Shred Shuttle to collect us the next day and spent a second night in the pouring rain, but well fed by our guide Sean.
Shred Shuttle arrived the next day after we hiked back down the mountain, and being a true hero he brought a tray of Tim Hortons doughnuts!
When we attempt the traverse next time, we will probably do it during September when there is less water on the mountain and in the creeks and we will go equipped to set up a zip line to help with the creek crossings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts