BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 90 F150, last week in the key off position I could hear a whirring sound at the back of the truck, disconnected battery for a while since no leaks or anything. Put back on after 10 min. no sound. Forgot all about it, til this morning while jumping in my truck for work after xmas holidays, parked all 2.5 days. NO JUICE!!

Oh well, take car to work and try to diagnose after work. Sure enough, the whirring sound is back!! I based it down to the front of the fuel tank and am sure its the pump.

Baffled though, if I had a bad fuel pump, wouldnt it be dead and not send fuel to engine instead of whirring like that?

Since I cant get to Ford til tomorrow, Boxing day today. I figured I would ask here and see if I can fix before then or at least diagnose exactly what the problem is.

------------------
Leslie
35 Boggered 72 Bronco
67 Bronco, lawn ornament

G

·
I'd have to say fuel pump relay. Keep an ear on it and when it messes up tap the relay on the left inner fender.

------------------
79 Bronco 3/4 ton gear, 35" General M/T

·
Registered
297 Posts
I second the fuel pump relay - but as a note: the fuel pump on my 91 Mustang 5.0 always has made a whirring noise when it is running since new. The car has over 300K on it now and I have never had a problem with the pump.The only time you can really notice it is when you first turn the key to on, and then the fuel pump runs for a few seconds to get the pressure in the fuel line up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to post back it was the relay. I have never had a problem before this, but it was whirring after you shut down and was draining the battery.

------------------
Leslie
35 Boggered 72 Bronco
67 Bronco, lawn ornament

1 - 4 of 4 Posts