BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed two 6inch pro comp lights on my front puch bar. I wired the lights to the switch inside the truck then wired the switch directly to my battery with an inline fuse. Now get this, the lights work fine when my truck is turned off, switch works too. But when I go to start my truck, it doesn't. Like the battery is dead, then I take off the connection (lights) to the battery and it starts fine. Any ideas why? I'm not tied into any other connections so I shouldn't be bothering anything that has to do with the ignition. I'm stumped, and I am NOT taking it to a mechanic.

------------------
'85 4runner, 6' suspension lift and 35' mudders (my baby)

·
Registered
183 Posts
the power wire must be to close to another wire and its causeing interference.. to fix this problem go buy a relay it has 4 posts mount it uder the hood by the rad or something so its not outside and close to the batt.. then put the 2 pos from the lights together and run it to one of the posts.. [the relay instructions will tell you which post but if ya dont know i can tell you]. then run a line from your fusebox signal and brakelight to a switch then to one of the posts on the relay.. then take one off the battery with a 25 amp fuse to one of the posts on the relay.. then just ground the relay and your done.. you should also buy a little warning light from canadian tire so it tells you when they are on. relays are 11bucks at radio shack.. If you came to my house [were you bought the lights] and brought wire i will wire them in with a relay for 10 bucks..

------------------
SOLD!!!!!!
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<NOW SPORTIN A CHEVY>

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the info, but I think I can do it myself no problem, or I have friends that won't charge me, but thanx anyway.

------------------

·
Registered
133 Posts
10bucks is a hell of a deal, I wired 4 lights on a light bar I used well over 100ft of wire 2 relays 2 switches and if I remember corectly 5 fuses, a while back I tried to explain to another guy how I did it on this board, good luck girlwithtruck take the offer jasonped made if there was someone around here that would have done it for me there would have been tires smoken and flames throughin to get it there.

------------------
85 SR5 4 runner, 7"sup,2" body, 35"BFG muds,5:29, wide track rear, vented rotor conversion, and no place to go.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i know snowman6971 thanks but she can do it her self for less [even know a relay it 11 bucks plus tax.. have fun girlwithtruck. [its always alot of fun when you get a problem like that] i just had to re wire my lights on my truck.. not 2 hard though just takes a little time.

------------------
SOLD!!!!!!
8000lb warn winch.
<NOW SPORTIN A CHEVY>

·
Registered
183 Posts
that is a good diagram.. thats what i was trying to explain

------------------
SOLD!!!!!!
8000lb warn winch.
<NOW SPORTIN A CHEVY>

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't worry about me, I will get it done in 20 minutes! I got as far as I did in 2 hours (had to cut some brackets) and I know nothing about electric. I have only paid one person money to fix that truck since I bought, and that's only because it was phyisically impossible for me to do it. Otherwise, I do EVERYTHING myself.

------------------

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry tarzan, I totally forgot that you helped me out. I correct myself. I twice paid somebody to fix my truck.

------------------

·
Registered
183 Posts
ha

------------------
SOLD!!!!!!
8000lb warn winch.
<NOW SPORTIN A CHEVY>

·
Registered
376 Posts
That wiring diagram is very nice but incorrect. If you wire one lite to 87 and the other to 87a you will have one lite lit with the switch off and the other lit when the switch is turned on. Look at any relay and you will see a diagram that will show why this is so. Wire the lights to 87 only for normal use. This site has lots of usefull info - http://www.colehersee.com/resource/index.htm

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
1,269 Posts
If you come out here to give me my spare back this weekend I'll help you wire it. Also, if you don't have a relay you're going to blow your switch eventually.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

[This message has been edited by Big Bad Pete (edited February 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What are friends for...?
Thanx a lot Pete, I will get in touch with you later this week.

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts