BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone converted the stock ignition from a 2F Landcruiser to electronic ignition? How hard is it? I know you can get kits in the states, but the average price I've seen is $300 US. Thanks.

Whiskey

BTW it's a '77.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
One of these days I'm going to convert mine.
The best way to do it is to swap in 78 or newer cruiser parts. The distributor and ignitor.
If you use the large bodied distributor from the later 2F, you will have to swap side covers as well.
One of the reasons I haven't done it yet is that the semi electronic system has worked so well. The points last forever, I'm still on the set I put in when the engine was rebuilt over 14 000 miles ago.
The way it's designed keeps the points happy, the points are only a trigger and the big voltage bypasses them, so they last forever.
But I'm also looking for a good used setup for my rig.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dp

Will the 78 or later bolt right in? I'm not sure what you mean by the "side covers".

I have heard that doing this will improve the performance and gas mileage quite a bit. I'm glad to hear that yours has been so reliable, I guess that's why it doesn't seem like a common swap.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The later distibutors a larger and the side cover on the engine needs to be swapped for clearance. Of course this isn't an issue if you use 78-82 parts, these bolt right on. You will also need the matching ignitor.
You probably won't notice any increase in power or milage though. Most people swap just to get away from points and get the more waterproof distributor.
I'm not going to bother "converting" my system to electronic with aftermarket stuff.
I want the electronic distibutor because it has an o-ring cap and is vented to the air cleaner and firewall.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts