BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to start my Jeep (1987 Jeep YJ 258 I6) today and as soon as I turned the key everything died.

I have checked the battery and it has a full charge.

The coil is registering power

Nothing, I mean nothing works. The lights will not come on, the dash is dead, my hazards don’t work….

What can I check… This is really freaking me out

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ballast resistor.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had this problem once on my CJ, it was a cracked battery terminal. Try trading batteries with someone, or Im not sure if this is the case in a YJ, but the soldenoid could be a problem too.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
U better get it working by saturday LOL j/k

Yeah check your battery terminals. Clean them very very good with sandpaper also Steve is right check your selonid.

If u dont get it working by sat i can also deliver or leave them with my g/f. And if i deliver i can take a look at it.

cya sat

------------------
92 Jeep YJ with 1 inch shackle lift and a 2 inch body lift running 33's, AR 767's and custom bush bar

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it could be something with the battery terminals, but they are brand new and the few things under the hood I have checked all have power...

Inside the cab the whole jeep is dead, no hazards, no brake lights, no clock, no dash, nothing when I turn the key. It is exactly like there is no battery in the Jeep.

So I have a good battery with good connections just no juice in the cab...what the hell is going on here?

I just put a new coil in, but it started awesome yesterday... it is hooked up correctly and has juice... Put the key in today and everything was fine, the dash had power etc... turn the key and suddenly nothing works...

What have I done???

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you try a different battery? When I had a cracked terminal the charger would say it had a perfect charge but there wasnt enough contact to start the car, no power at all in my jeep. If its a standard try push starting it, you'll know if its the battery then.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all you advice, you guys rule!!

It's just too bad you were helping a total dumbass

Lets just say I know someone (not me of course) who installed new battery terminals and didn't tighten the conection between the cable and the terminal tight enough...

That idiot had power everywhere but when the demand became high, aka starting, the terminals were too loose.

How embarrassing

Sometimes I make myself wonder...

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Spalding:
I thought it could be something with the battery terminals, but they are brand new
That's a big hint right there. If the Jeep suddenly starts acting weird and you very recently changed something, that's the first place you should look. Especially if that thing you recently changed could be related to your problem (ie: electrical).

Glad to hear you got 'er figured out.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
36 Posts
ABSOLUTELY the BEST one I saw....

X g/f had a VW Golf, battery fried and she needed a new one, I was at work and couldn't leave, so... her Dumb-a*s brother in law bought a battery, installed it.......NOTHING!

When I got home, she had it towed, I took a look at it and the Dumb-a*s forgot to take the terminal caps off......
put the clamp on OVER the plastic caps....
WONDER why there was no power, some ppl just should'nt touch cars.

Cheers,
Ash

------------------
89 YJ built tough, NOT pretty
02 Liberty
57 Chev pickup streetrod

·
Registered
134 Posts
Try a new battery.My YJ just did the same thing. It registered 12volts, but when I turned the key it dropped to 0.5volts. All the lights died and all the same. Good luck. Mudder2

G

·
On that year of YJ there are fusible links located on the passenger side of the firewall. I've only ever burned one up but finding the culprate was a real PITA!

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"What the hell was that?!"
www.members.shaw.ca/ichris4x4/index

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.