BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in the process of getting so work done to my Jeep and I am not sure if my engine with have the power it needs, right now I am running a 4.0L engine, I just had Dana 44 put in the front and rear end with 4:56 gears and a spool in the rear and a mini spool in the front, I also did leaf over, with rancho 9000 shocks and 36" TSL Swampers. My question is will my little engine be powerful enough to turn all four of my tires, if not what is the best engine that I can put in a 83' Jeep CJ5, also take note that I want to put a snorkle on the jeep in the future(sense I sunk my last truck).

On a side note, I am looking for a desent paint job for a good price in the Salmon Arm area, I want a paint job that I don't care if I scratch going throught the woods. I need the paint job because my jeep is not known as my jeep it is Chris's jeep (the old owner) No offence Chris but it is time to make it Todd's Jeep.

Thanks for all your help
Keep 4 wheelin

·
Registered
394 Posts
Is it a swapped in 4.0L or the stock 4.2L?

Need clarification in order to answer the question.

Stock 4.2L is probably around 110hp, and the 4.0L is about 180hp. Big difference...

There are things that can be done to a 4.2L to get some more ponies, as well as the 4.0L or you could swap in a V8. AMC 304s and 360s drop in with the least amount of hassle, but then you have to worry about whether your transmission will hold up (particualrily with the 360).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure, (I am a self admitted mechanical idiot)but I think it is the orig. but it has been rebuilt (I am told) but I am not sure where as I only bought it last summer from a Dealer, (and they know nothing).

·
Registered
237 Posts
4.2 with a 4.0 head?

·
Registered
394 Posts
4x4Fry said:
I am not sure, (I am a self admitted mechanical idiot)but I think it is the orig. but it has been rebuilt (I am told) but I am not sure where as I only bought it last summer from a Dealer, (and they know nothing).
Probably a 2bbl inline six 4.2L (258).

The 4.0L (242) was introduced in XJs in '87 with fuel injection, then the YJs got them in '91.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts