BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a reason why my engine is bogging out on normal driving. It happens just after I shift up on my ranger, it starts hopping and bogs out. It smooths out after around 2500rpm. All help is appreciated.

Travis

·
Registered
104 Posts
When it starts to hop, try flooring it, does it seem to catch and go?? It could be a number of things, check your cap and rotor, start the vehicle at nite and see if a plug wire is shorting out... is it EFI or Carb?? Could be gummed up a little, or if it's a mechanical fuel pump, it could be getting a little weak...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an EFI 2.9L with a electronic pump. It bogs out when I swithch gears at higher rpms, so it happens when I floor it.

Travis

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI, I had some problems with my 2.9 that sounded similiar. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator, you can pull off the small vacuum line on the back of it and you might see gas dripping out but the best way is to take the pressure reading at the fuel rail. Another thing to consider is the TFI on the distributor..lots of people have problems with them because the heat kills them.

check out www.fordranger.com
they have a 2.9L board called Kunz corner and there's alot of helpful people there
Good luck

------------------
I just figured out this islands made out of ROCK!

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI, I had some problems with my 2.9 that sounded similiar. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator, you can pull off the small vacuum line on the back of it and you might see gas dripping out but the best way is to take the pressure reading at the fuel rail. Another thing to consider is the TFI on the distributor..lots of people have problems with them because the heat kills them.

check out www.fordranger.com
they have a 2.9L board called Kunz corner and there's alot of helpful people there
Good luck

------------------

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just replaced my cap, rotor, wires and plugs. It's still doing it. Could it be my elec. feul pump or injectors? I can't figure it out and need help bad.

Travis

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might try and retrieve the computer trouble codes. If you don't want to spend 25$ to get the code reader at canadian tire, you can pull them with a voltmeter. I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you how to do it the voltmeter but I don't know how sorry. If you think it's fuel supply problem, maybe changing your filter would help. Try reseting your computer by disconecting your battery for an hour..this will also clear any old codes and give you an indication of whats going on .
Do you have a haynes or a chiltons manual ?

------------------

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunatly I have a haynes manual, haven't gotten around to getting a chilton yet. As for the filter it was just replaced 2 months ago.

Travis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts