BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to be trading for a 4runner with a 7mge, originally a 22re, and im kinda worried that it will not pass and it will sit in my driveway? it has new exhaust and hiflow cat but will the bigger engine make it not pass? he says it will but im not sure. thanks

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
if he says it will pass then get him to aircare it before you take possession. it's pretty standard for a seller to aircare a vehicle before selling it.

that being said, if it's a good running 7mge and there is a cat then there is no reason it shouldn't pass. aircare takes a sample of the exhaust, not total exhaust output. a clean running engine will pass wether is a 4 cyl or 6.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
if you go to http://www.aircare.ca/ and click on "air care standards" under "inspection info" you can enter all of your vehicle's info with one engine size, year and weight and then enter a different engine size with all the same info.

if you enter 3.0 liters and then do it again with 2.2 liters you will see that the 2.2 has more allowable emissions at idle, not by much though. this means the 4cyl polutes more. just go in and don't tell them anything has been done. chances are pretty good they will not look at the engine or even be able to tell the difference between a 4 and 6 cyl.

·
Registered
111 Posts
it depends on what year the runner is. a '92 or newer veh are tested by measureing grams per km where as 91 and older measure pollutants as a percent (% or ppm) so if it is 91 or older you dont have a worry, as long as there isnt something wrong with it causing high emissions, but if it is 92 or newer then it will be a little tougher to aircare it but still easily attainable if it is running as it should.
haveing said this, the previous owner could have changed the registered engine size so aircare will test it as a 7m. to be safe though you should get the seller to aircare it for you before you buy it as previously stated by steve604.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well its a 87 4runner, originally a 22re. guy on here is trading with me. i just dont want to trade then not be able to pass lol. it runs good and has a new high flow cat. and im not sure im going to be trading anymore because it has a police inspection fine thing and i have a bad fealing that its going to not pass and need lots of $. so yeah thanks guys

·
Registered
944 Posts
back when i had my 7m in my 85 i tried to tell them i had a 6 cylinder they didnt believe me. never had any issue with passing the only thing i would do was unplug the blow off valve so it wouldnt vent to atmosphere during the test but on a ge no turbo so theres no issue. now i run a 350 and its still tested as a 4cylinder and it passes with flying colors everytime. its cause its ppm (parts per million)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, I put a 7M-GE in my '85 pickup and was worried that I wouldn't pass so I Aircared it right before I did the swap (as in 3 days before) so I would get as long as possible before having to worry about it.

It went something like this...

- Aircare with the 22R-E
- Insure vehicle for 1 year
- Aircare again a few days later with the 22R-E
- Engine swap a couple weeks after that
- 11.5 months later, my insurance expired 3 days before my Aircare expired
- Another full year before having to actually get tested with the 7M

Since I had been tested (and passed) just days before and there was no normal reason for me to be requesting a second test, they made me sign some form saying that I was voluntarily getting tested. The guy thought I was nuts but I just told him I did some major engine work and wanted to make sure I was still "legal". Right.

When I finally got the test done, it passed by a long shot so I had nothing to worry about all along.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.