BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever swapped in a 3.8 turbo charged engine out of a thunderbird SC in place of the 4.0 or other. I would like to pull this off but not to sure where to start researching this project? Thanx any help would rock.

------------------
88 Ranger 4inch sup lift 3 inch body swaped in 4.0 8.8 rear dana 35 up front 33 12.50 swampers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by ANGER ranger w\ attitude:
Has anyone ever swapped in a 3.8 turbo charged engine out of a thunderbird SC in place of the 4.0 or other. I would like to pull this off but not to sure where to start researching this project? Thanx any help would rock.
Pretty simple swap. There's a guy in california who did this in his 2wd. find him on the RRORC site. The 3.8 is an easy one, using the 5.0L bellhousing, IIRC. However, given that info, unless you happen to have a 3.8SC laying around, why not just use the 5.0L? far more accessable parts, cheaper too, less problematic.
If you're contemplating a custom swap, it doesn't get much easier. There are even at least 3 or 4 kits available for it. Most parts should cross right over to the 3.8 if you insist on that route, but its the same or more work for less torque. I ran about 250HP 2.3T for a while, before yanking it for the 5.0L. One thing about the 3.8, is you will probably have to build, or have built, custom headers. There are any number of aftermarket 5.0L-Ranger headers, but none for the 3.8 that I am aware of. Header room is at a premium with these motors, and the car stuff comes nowhere close to fitting.


------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
I have herd that those engines are REALLY hard to work on and the crank shafts are known to break, and it takes something like 4H to change the plugs, this isn't a good swap unless you want a problem engine and the head gaskets go at 120 000 KM you should go with a 5L or 5.8L.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by pitter:
I have herd that those engines are REALLY hard to work on and the crank shafts are known to break, and it takes something like 4H to change the plugs, this isn't a good swap unless you want a problem engine and the head gaskets go at 120 000 KM you should go with a 5L or 5.8L.
5.8L is harder to install, due to steering shaft/header interference. with the 5.0L it is very tight, the 5.8 makes it painful.

------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm guessing that the motor mounts don't match, so is there a company (local) that would have these made up already? Your right C.A.Time,5.0 is much easier to find. What about the wireing harness? Is there an adapter 4 this to? Thanx for the feed back you guys.

------------------
88 Ranger 4inch sup lift 3 inch body swaped in 4.0 8.8 rear dana 35 up front 33 12.50 swampers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
Originally posted by ANGER ranger w\ attitude:
I'm guessing that the motor mounts don't match, so is there a company (local) that would have these made up already? Your right C.A.Time,5.0 is much easier to find. What about the wireing harness? Is there an adapter 4 this to? Thanx for the feed back you guys.


I am sure Painless Wiring has a harness for this!


------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Air Time:
5.8L is harder to install, due to steering shaft/header interference. with the 5.0L it is very tight, the 5.8 makes it painful.

Isn't the 5.0L (302) and the 5.8L (351W) the exact same size block, maybe the deck height is different or something but AFAIK they are the same! Just a little stroking going on, I have been wrong before!



------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top