BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to drop a different engine in my samurai.. something nice and large cuz im sick of this 1.3l bullshit... i want to cram the largest sized engine i possible could without doing any serious or MAJOR cutting
sooo what would the biggest engine size be?

------------------
SPOA Samurai, 31's, stock engine, stock gears, and stock rust.

·
Registered
45 Posts
well.. you have a few options...

there is the 1.6 litre tracker motor
the 1.3 twin cam swift motor (I had it and loved it)
there is the 22R conversion...
if you do cutting you can put in a ford v6 or something ... that's just off the top of my head... good luck...

·
Registered
10 Posts
1.6 is probably the only way to go if you don't want to get into serious modifications. otherwise the 2.8/2.9/4.0 60 degree ford motor's fit fairly well. 4.3 vortech would be the way to go if you wanted alot of hp, but that is alot more work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by zukibrother:
1.6 is probably the only way to go if you don't want to get into serious modifications. otherwise the 2.8/2.9/4.0 60 degree ford motor's fit fairly well. 4.3 vortech would be the way to go if you wanted alot of hp, but that is alot more work.
FYI: stay away from 2.8 Ford....very weak (even for a Sammy), you will hate yourself. 2.9 is not much better, but at least it's EFI, really funny how Ford jumped from a carburated engine to an EFI multiport, go figure :)
4.0 has plenty power and torque but again, it's an overbored and stroked original 2.8 and as such prone to cracks and other fatigue-related failures...very gas-thirsty too.
1.6 Sidekick is a REALLY good option from almost every angle IMHO. It's on my "To-Do" list just after I'm done with my funky suspension.

Hope it helps

------------------
-marker

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the ford 2.8 in my samurai. I really do like it. It has more than enough power, and runs really good. I guess i don't know what you are talking about. it is a hell of alot better than the 1.3 piece of %#^%. I have a 1.6 in one of my samurai's, and I do like it, but it dosn't have near the power of the 2.8. Plus the automatic is nice. Only real problem is the gearing. the v6 revs a little high at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Go 1600 16Valve Suzuki engine. It has 95 HP,
That's a huge 58% power increase over the "*$%!" and with 16 valve it likes being reved, so highway cruising is a breeze.
The main thing is that you don't want any major mods and the 1600 16V goes in with very minimal cutting and welding required

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Speaking of which....

I'm gonna do a 1600 16 valve EFI swap in november or december - I haven't started the research yet. Can someone roughly breakdown cost and time....

(I was supposed to do this in the summer, and someone on this list offered to give me info., but I had to suddenly leave for Italy instead)

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i am in the middle of a 4.3 swap and it looks a lot better in the frame then the other guys i also have a bit of a body lift though

------------------
85 Samurai 13" lift, Snorkel,Bucket seats, yoda axles, chev 4.3l V6 th350 and 205 tcase, on 35X12.50 mud terrains

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by Godzuka:
i am in the middle of a 4.3 swap and it looks a lot better in the frame then the other guys i also have a bit of a body lift though

Anyone heard of useing a 2.3L ford engine?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Won't anyone support the VW diesel swap?
1.9 Baby!

------------------
463,000 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone heard of useing a 2.3L ford engine?
yea, i talked to a guy a while ago that did that. he said it worked really well, i will see if i can find his email for you. I had considered it, but it is heavier and longer than the ford v6 that i went with instead.

[This message has been edited by zukibrother (edited October 09, 2001).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by zukibrother:
yea, i talked to a guy a while ago that did that. he said it worked really well, i will see if i can find his email for you. I had considered it, but it is heavier and longer than the ford v6 that i went with instead.

Great! I happen to have this engine lying around out of a turbo t-bird.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What does every good little Suzuki hope to be when it grows up? A Toyota of course. So go get a 1.6 4AGE 16 valve Toy motor and then run it into a Toy 5 speed gear box and run that into Toy axles front and rear.

·
Registered
261 Posts
91 1.3 GTi out of a swift.

------------------
4ByHigh

[This message has been edited by KEV (edited October 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is one thing to install a set of axles out of a Suzuki under a Suzuki and an engine out of a Suzuki into a Suzuki. How abought installing a set of Toyota Axles under a Suzuki? But the trick with mine was it is a SJ410 which has narower spring pirches than a Samurai. Yes I could have moved them out and matched them to the Toyota Pirches which is where the Samurai springs allready sit. That would have been very easy. But I wanted to keep the springs inboard. So I buit the block out of a 2"x6"1/4" wall square tube and trussed it across the top from one side to the other. If you continue on through the pictures of the truck on the webpage there are pics of it 10' in the air abought 20 min after I finnished the axle install. If it was going to fail I wanted it to fail at the shop and not on the trail. At this point it has servived many hard core trail runs and tuff truck competition. The engine is now putting out near 200HP with the addition of a new pair of cams and rebuild. It soon will have a 4-speed auto,LSD rear, and coil rear suspension finnished.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts