BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to tackle an engine swap in my 1981 F-150 4x4 SB. I am goning to remove the 351 M and install a 1978 460. I understand that the Bell Housings are the same, but the engine mounts are different. What else is different ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If yours is a manual trans the flywheel is different but if its an auto then it will bolt right up to the trans. then you will have to use the 460 manifolds and accessory brackets and make some motor mounts. When I did the swap it was in 1979 trucks and I used the factory rad and made my own mounts, I used the 460 access. brackets and engine pulleys and it worked great and never overheated once. I have done 4 like this all with good results the last one I did only took us one saterday to pull the old engine out and put the 460 in and buy 9:00pm we went out wheeling with it. If you want more info on what I did for motor mounts email me and I will email you my phone # and I can fax you the drawing for the plate I made and then you use a dodge truck mount its slick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts