BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've just rebuilt the head and discovered that my piston rings are probably shot, i'm getting alot of blow back(smoke out of rocker cover and tailpipe) any suggestions on what the prob might be.
Also interested in common V6 swaps for my 84 P/U. Is a newer SR5 an eaiser conversion then others?:confused:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
A 4.3 Vortec engine seems to be the most popular swap in. Lots of power and a very good engine. Someone here probably can give you more info on it.

G

·
Yea, the 4.3L Chevy V6 is a very popular swap. The adapter plate to use your Toy Tranny and T-case can be quite pricey tho depending on who you buy if from. NorthWest off-road specialties sells adapters as well as Advance Adapters.. These allow you to bolt up your Toy drivetrain to your hot new V6 :D

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
NewToyo said:
Yea, the 4.3L Chevy V6 is a very popular swap. The adapter plate to use your Toy Tranny and T-case can be quite pricey tho depending on who you buy if from. NorthWest off-road specialties sells adapters as well as Advance Adapters.. These allow you to bolt up your Toy drivetrain to your hot new V6 :D
Northwest Off Road is just selling Advance Adapter products as if they were their own, same with their headers and everything else.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is swapping a v-6 a practical solution to re-building the 4. What kinda price differences are we talking here. A few years ago it seemed everyone was putting a v-8 in a toyota but I rarely see it now. I guess it all has to do 5.29's and dual transfer cases now.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Quite a few things to think about in a swap that add the cost up quickly. Completely rebuild a Toyota is about 1,600 in parts and machine shop costs and doing the rest of the work yourself. If you have the engine apart anyways and out of the truck add a cam, header and new clutch brings it over 2,500.

I would very roughly guestimate that a 4.3 swap will cost at a minimum 2,500 doing all the work yourself. Under a grand for a good running 4.3, then a decision on what tranny-tcase to use. Hard to forsee all the little expenses in doing a swap though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
chris said:
Is swapping a v-6 a practical solution to re-building the 4. What kinda price differences are we talking here. A few years ago it seemed everyone was putting a v-8 in a toyota but I rarely see it now. I guess it all has to do 5.29's and dual transfer cases now.
Every one is still putting in chev small blocks.
I'm putting one in right now.A couple other people I know have also done one recently.

The best v-6 is the chev 4.3 vortec but there not easy do.

What is everyone putting in there trucks? here in bc.
I have only seen one 4.3 swap.

G

·
A friend of mine got his 4.3L, 700R4 tranny, and 208 t-case for under a grand. He rebuilt the 4.3 himself and saved a bundle of cash on the swap into his 85 4 runner. It can be done relatively cheaply if you are a patient fellow and willing to do alot of work yourself.

Personally, I INTEND (we all know about intentions dont we?) to swap in a Ford 302 and keep the Toy tranny and case. Those engines are a dime a dozen and the pricey bits will be the adapter plate, clutch, rad, etc, etc..... we'll see how it goes. With the price of gas these days:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ford 5.0 :)

If your willing to relocate your rad there is no cutting for the 5.0, I put my rad in the (dang, what do you canadians call a flatbed again?) and it works great. Nuttin beats the sound of a V8!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
There's a complete 3.8 V6 conversion in buy and sell right now. Can't remember price, but you could check it out online?

·
Registered
325 Posts
the only thing the 22-re has goin for it is it's reliabity. They are weak and I don't really find them to be that good on gas. I think the 4.3 or the 350 would be your best option. Then you can still keep the strong 4:10 gears. If you do a search at www.pirate4x4.com you will find more info then you want to look at for both of the swaps.

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
my 83 with a 22re is slow. (it doesnt like any long uphill grades where it can't carry the speed....)

even with the 5.29s and 35s (4%over geared vs stock) its not fast.

im considering doing the 4.3 as well.
probabally about double the horse power and the gas cant be much more .
i only get 16mpg in my truck (440kms to bone dry in my 69 litre tank... mainly b/c i have to drive it pretty hard to keep up on the highway. (doing 100-120)
thats roughly the same milage that a 4.3 gets in a stock pickup, trailblazer, jimmy etc....

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
btw i was considering using a th700r4/th350 tranny and the stock transfercase and then stacking (muck later on) an second 203(i think... dont know my chev stuff that well)

that way there is no extra cost with adapters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts