BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tranny on my '90 Ranger sounds like it may be on it's way out. Ideally I would like to sink the hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars needed to rebuild it into a new engine tranny t-case combo. Right I have a tired 2.9 but it burns no oil. The tranny is a Mazda which I hear is quite light duty, and the t-case is a BW 1354 chain drive. I know I would like to drop in a 5.0 from a later model Mustang with a World Class T-5 tranny if I can find one that isn't trashed but what about a t-case. Can anyone make some recommendations and explain why.

Thanks.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you are going to put ina 5.0 go with a np435 trannie and a np205 or 208 they will be plenty strong for your ranger. with 32's

------------------
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT OUT

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can also find C6's mated to T-cases strong enough to handle a light weight Ranger. Problem then is you'll be able to handle 36's+. But then the front and rear end weakness's show up. Oh, well....there are 60's, but then your going to need a sazall...That's going to be the cheapest thing you buy when you start this ball rolling down hill.

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a smartassed punk----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Roger Roger Roger. We cant all afford dana 60's and c6's with 4,3 atlas' I wish we could but we cant. But you did a swap with the np435 were you satisfied with it. OR do U think this guys should go with an auto?

------------------
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT OUT

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd prefer to stick with a manual. I hate going for the clutch and jamming the brakes cause there is no clutch.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Rad:
I'd prefer to stick with a manual. I hate going for the clutch and jamming the brakes cause there is no clutch.
If you like light weight strong stuff, AA has finally made a Mustang T5-to-Heep 231 adapter. strong, nice ratio, lower options if you want, dual options, LOTS of $$ by the time you are done. if thats not strong enough for you, the ch#vy 241 is an easy swap for the 231 I've heard. You are nice to your equipment, so the T5 should live just fine behind a 5.0 in your truck.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You got to find an old donor vehicle, than you can swap engine/tranny/t-case and differentials into your ranger. Look for an F150 that has been recked. This drivetrain should be plenty strong for a light weight ranger!

------------------
78 Bronco 351M SM435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts