BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my 22-re seems to be screwed, timing chain snapped and bent the number 2 and 4 valves. Could rebuild the head for like 1500, but then possibly need new pistons. swap in another 22-re

or I was thinking a 305 or a 3b diesel, just wondering what any issues such a clearence are witht the 305, pretty sure it would hit the toursion bars, I like the diesel idea though

------------------
Yota Anyone?

·
Registered
193 Posts
My god. Who quoted you 1500 for a head rebuild? I got quoted 180 bucks. Now, I know that 1500 includes new valves but come on. I think you should shop around a bit. try dedicated engine shops.

Who quoted you that. I want to know so I can give them a nasty phone call.

------------------
93' x-tra cab. I hate my IFS. Ya I know your rig is better than mine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a little shop in town hear, that was just a rough quoute though, he didn't look it up or anything. I am just worried that once they get the head off the pistons will be screwed, so what engine to go with?

------------------
Yota Anyone?

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
22re will bolt directally to a 22r tranny, on mine i had to drill two holes, to remove some threads because the engine mounts and tranny had threads on the same hole.
so a 22re tranny should be fine on a 22r
the connectors are different but that shouldnt matter to u

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
btw i may be able to get u a cracked head, so you could swap the valves over to your head... ill check on it and get back to you.

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had 305 with IFS and didn't hit torsion bars.Only clerance problems with IFS are you have to modify the oil pan if you don't have IFS lift.Also need body lift(3") to clear distributor will also have to hammer in firewall abit still.But other than that the motor fits nice and snug.

------------------
86 4-runner 305,TH350,203,threelink front,6inch skyjacker rear.5.29s,lockers and more to come if I can save the money

[This message has been edited by callan (edited December 17, 2001).]

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I am basically thinking of goin with the 22-r, just would like to know how much has to be swapped, like electrical, fuel pump and such

------------------
Yota Anyone?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might consider it, I haven't quite decided what I am doing yet. Consider I live in Saskatchewan so you would have to pay shipping, I also have a friend with a motor Kicking around, I will talk to him.

------------------
Yota Anyone?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should just swap in a chev 4.3L V6.They are light,lots of power,pretty much bolt right in and they are cheep.

------------------
Happiness is belt fed weapons and road noise

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just so happen to have a 22r and a 20r lying around if you are interested. I don't know what to ask for them or what they are worth but I know that I won't need them anymore. the 350 swap is underway!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey rockwhelle, I am gonna keep the enigine, I got a serious heater now and I found a head for cheap, so I can start doing that stuff now. But again I will talk to my friend next time I see him

------------------
Yota Anyone?

·
Registered
363 Posts
1500 !!!!??????
this is a little off topic, but my input.
put my fully rebuilt 22r in about a month ago.TOTAL cost was about 1300 parts and labour. i did the teardown and assembly myself as well as the porting.

head rebuilt
all new valves
performance cam
new pistons
resized rods
20r crank
all new bearings,rings and seals
full dynamic balance includung clutch
port and polish head and intake
headman hedder

basically a new engine. shop figures it about 150hp. revs to 7500rpm happily.
carb craps out around there, thats next on my list. i could have swapped for around the same money, but saves alot of headaches, keeps the weight down (becomes a factor with abot 8" of lift) and minimizes the amout of chevy in my toyota. with the 235`s on, the truck is MUCH, MUCH faster. beaten a new chevy and a super duty off the line.even with the 35`s, it quite a bit quicker than before. it wasnt cheap, but i wont be snapping axles, having electrical and overheating problems, and i already know toy engines inside out, which comes in handy in the bush. i do agree with pete, if i was going to swap id go with an aluminum block 4.3l. you can get just as much out of them as a 350, with less size and weight.

------------------
go BIG, or go home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts