BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light has been coming on so I checked for error codes and got the following: 47 and 24.

24 is -Throttle position sensor over 4.96V, and I tried resetting the computer by disconecting the battery and wiggling the wires trying to trip it but nothing happened.

I am driving roundtrip from Burnaby, BC to San Felipe, Mexico on Friday and was wondering if I should just change the TPS to be safe.

As for the 47 -Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low , I tested the voltage at the battery and it was 14.6, so I am not sure what to think about that one.

My jeep has been hesitating and stuttering lately and I'm wondering now if it has to do with the TPS. I might take it off, clean it good and put it back together and see how it drives.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.

------------------
Leanne
'95 YJ : enough lift, big tires, and too much other junk to list :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
is it a 4.0L?
try fuel filter or clogged injectors.
as for the charging, mine did that too,
i found a dirty battery terminal was
the problem.made the guage go stupid.
hope this helps
cheers: eric

------------------
when i die ,the jeep goes with me!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a 4cyl. I was thinking of changing the fuel filter, I don't know if it has ever been changed, I almost don't think it has. I might try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion.

------------------
Leanne

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Check the surface voltage of your battery, when you checked the codes the engine wasnt running right? Could be just a low surface voltage of the battery, when its running it will be fine.

My check engine light came on when a wire got ripped off my temperature sensor. Check all the connections.

A TPS costs how much? If its not a whole lot of money I say it can't hurt to replace it.

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
A bad TPS will cause stuttering problems. I'd definitely pick up another one. In fact, I'd change it before you go. I think it uses a Torx bolt with generous amounts of thread lock so you should remove the old one in comfortable surroundings where you can swear copiously and have access to a good Torx bit and a replacement when you break it. <g>

Seriously though, change it now.

FYI, TPS sensors are notorious for getting killed by water so it's good to have a spare one anyway.

As for the battery, clean the connections anyway. Take 'em off and wire brush them very thoroughly.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had a bad cell in my battery which gave me same results. Check the batt.

I just talked to my parents who are from Bby and are in San Felipe. Dress warm for the evenings. Kind of chilly.

------------------
'94 XJ - 3" RE lift, 31 Big O XT
'97 F250 HD 5" custom lift, 33" BFG AT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by xjtank:
I just talked to my parents who are from Bby and are in San Felipe. Dress warm for the evenings. Kind of chilly.
Yeah, my grandparents are down there and they said the same thing. Really cold for this time of year. I love it down there. Do they have a place down there or are they just on a short holiday? We have a place at El Dorado Ranch.

Thanks guys, I will definatly change the TPS today.

------------------
Leanne

·
Registered
18 Posts
i had the same problem with my jeep the hesatation was caused by(after costly looking) the distributer roter its worth a look.

------------------
its a jeep thing i still dont undrestand

1 - 8 of 8 Posts