BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Toyota freind of mine told me of these "Hyper Shackles" that allow your axles much more travel. There's sort of a link in the middle of it that allows it to jackknife closed upon itself and work as a normal shackle on the road. When you are offroad, they allow the axles much more travel by jackknifing open when your wheel needs to drop. At least that's sort of the way I understand it. Anyways, has anyone ever seen these used on Jeeps, specifically a YJ?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hyper shackles aren't quite the same as revolvers, and I believe the original revolver shackles were made by teraflex.

Just by looking at them, it would seem the revolvers might be a little less stable than an opening shackle (hyper shackles). Maybe lars will lend an expert opinion!

·
Registered
192 Posts
They're the same in the sense they both allow your axles to droop significantly more. The plus with the revolvers is that in theory they relieve the lateral stress on the springs when fully (or even partially) articulated.

We better get someone who runs them to tell us first-hand what the experience is, but IMHO: (which is probably wrong, but it wont be the first time)

Aren't revolver shackles weaker than normal ones?

Why would you want just the weight of the axle to provide extra traction (which is what any drop-away shackle does) ? Isn't it unsafe? (from a rollover point of view?)
If you were off-camber at (pulling a number out of my ass) 30 degrees, with regular shackles, having the weight of the wheels/axles would keep you rubber-side-down, but if you had extendable shackles, wouldn't your frame/body fall over because the uphill-side of your axles wern't holding it there? (pick your angle of sidehill, I don't know)

I know I'm just babling, but I too would like some answers on these. Aside from getting a higher ramp score, wouldn't it be better knowing that if a tire is still on the ground, then there is a spring above it 'pushing' it down? (as opposed to just the weight of the axle?)

·
Registered
344 Posts
if u ever have a chance...pop on over to pirate4x4.com there has been so many threads about these...some say they work and some say they don't...but they have some good points and facts about the pro's and con's about them..

hmm..they seem the same to me...well othen then the fact that revolers can kind of twist and turn abit....i was thinking about trying them very soon.....let me know how it works for u..

allan

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Hyper shackles aren't quite the same as revolvers, and I believe the original revolver shackles were made by teraflex.
Originals were made by Metal Made Rite. Teraflex bought the rights to manuf./sell them from MMR.

Just by looking at them, it would seem the revolvers might be a little less stable than an opening shackle (hyper shackles). Maybe lars will lend an expert opinion!
I don't think Revolvers would be any more or less stable. The only big diff. is that the Revolvers also reduce the torsional load on the springs by allowing the shackle to rotate.

We better get someone who runs them to tell us first-hand what the experience is, but IMHO: (which is probably wrong, but it wont be the first time)
So far, I've been happy with the Revolvers. Haven't had any bad unloading experiences that some people say will happen. Did some interesting sidehill stuff at Rock Crawl at "BC Hammers" with no issues related to the Revolvers.

Aren't revolver shackles weaker than normal ones?
Obviously, if they have more moving parts, they are quite likely going to be weaker than a similarly-built shackle without moving parts. However, the degree of diff. may be so far removed from our concern that it isn't worth talking about. In other words, I'm not worried that the Revolvers will break.

Why would you want just the weight of the axle to provide extra traction (which is what any drop-away shackle does) ? Isn't it unsafe? (from a rollover point of view?)
In some cases, the droop on one end of the axle helps with the compression on the opposite side. Also, in the cases where the shackle opens up, what would have happened had the Revolver not been there is that the wheel on that end of the axle would have lifted anyway. So, it's a comparison btwn having a wheel on the ground (with only the weight of the axle on it) vs. having absolutely no traction under that wheel. BTW, it is also possible to have weight from the compressed side of the axle to be exerting a load (however uneven it may be) on BOTH ends of the axle.

If you were off-camber at (pulling a number out of my ass) 30 degrees, with regular shackles, having the weight of the wheels/axles would keep you rubber-side-down, but if you had extendable shackles, wouldn't your frame/body fall over because the uphill-side of your axles wern't holding it there? (pick your angle of sidehill, I don't know)
I'm sure there are some cases where an opening shackle might be detrimental to a vehicle's stability. Similarly, so would a buggy leaf or coil spring suspension. Basically, any suspension that allows too much travel could be unstable in the situation you describe. Fortunately, most of us don't 'wheel our 4x4s anywhere near the point where the CoG moves beyond the width or length of our vehicles. In short, the situation you describe could possibly cause a rollover with Revolvers but it would also happen with any long travel suspension. For that matter, a hearty fart might be even enough to knock a "conventional suspension" beyond that point of stability, too.

I know I'm just babling, but I too would like some answers on these. Aside from getting a higher ramp score, wouldn't it be better knowing that if a tire is still on the ground, then there is a spring above it 'pushing' it down? (as opposed to just the weight of the axle?)
At the point where the Revolvers open up, you already have very little spring pressure on the axle. As I said, I think it is more a question of lifting a tire (ie: no Revolvers) or leaving it on the ground (ie: with Revolvers).

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
192 Posts
:) Well, you sure answered everything I've ever been wanting to ask about revolver shackles. I never thought about the fact that if one wheel is being compressed enough, it is actually forcing the other wheel down, providing traction where a stock shackle would be limiting it. Hell. In that scenario, revolvers might actually STOP a rollover. (I'm having a hard time picturing it though.)

Come up to Whistler. Let's test it out with your rig :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks for all the info Lars. Just one more thing: Who sells 'em and for how much $? Oops, I guess that 2 more things:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can also speak from first hand knowlege. I have revolvers on my cj7. When I had the original springs I had unbelieveable amount of flex but then I snapped my rear main so I put in a 4" lift and I lost about 80% of my droop. I know that the new springs are a lot stiffer but the revolvers do not open up as much as before. If you have a jeep with stock springs I would recomend the revolvers as one of the first upgrades. Once I break my new springs in I imagine I will get some of my droop back.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
lars said:
Prices fluctuate so you pretty much have to call around. As always, use NSOR's price quote system (http://www.nsor.com) and mention that you're from BC4x4. Shop :canadian whenever possible.

...lars
NSOR's price quote system doesnt work. The first time it took three weeks for them to get back to me, and it came back with a typo that put a lock right at over $5000
I havent recieved a reply from my second price quote request from about two and a half weeks ago.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Dan said:
NSOR's price quote system doesnt work. The first time it took three weeks for them to get back to me, and it came back with a typo that put a lock right at over $5000
I havent recieved a reply from my second price quote request from about two and a half weeks ago.
It means they made a mistake. They are most definitely answering their price quote requests.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Hey got my price quote today with apologies for the problems and delays :) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts