BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my truck seems to be needing a topup of oil every 2-3 weeks. i'll fill it to the top of the dipstick and then it will be pretty close to the empty mark 2-3 weeks later. no blue smoke, no leaks, no smell. its a 92 4cyl and i've been using 20W50 castrol. any ideas?

------------------
Not Just Another Pretty Face...

·
Registered
183 Posts
what color is your cooling systems fluids? ....other then that your missing something.. its gotta be going somewhere

------------------
"Momentum is key."

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
murky green best describes my coolant

------------------
what's a 4x4?

·
Registered
363 Posts
my old beaten to hell 20r used oil like that, switched to 20w50, and it signifigantly reduced. since youre already using the thickest oil you can, it doesnt leak, and its not in your coolant, your engine is probably wearing out.seems quite odd for an engine of that age but you didnt mention how many k's. there is a chance that it is going out the breather. pull it off and see if there are signs of excessive oil. if your pcv valve is clogged, it could cause it, but its a stretch. a compression check is a good indicator of the condition of your rings, also valve guide seals are a common source of consumption, but usually accompanied by smoke upon startup. if it turns out to be something minor, personally i would switch back to 10w30 unless youre in extremely hot conditions.

------------------
go BIG, or go home.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
140,000 kms

------------------
what's a 4x4?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Why are you running such a heavy oil?
I use 20w50 in motorcycles and 10w40 in my FJ40.
Viscosity is way high at start up with 20 weight oils, takes a while to get it circulating. I guess if it never gets below 15 or 20 it's ok, but thick oil can never make up for loose clearances or worn rings.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my neighbor has an 81 toy 2wd p/u with 400,000+ kms on original engine and has used 20w50 since day one, that's why...

------------------
what's a 4x4?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.