BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, when I was in high school I made the mistake of not taking any mech classes and my dad never really did much work on veh. either, so I'm trying to teach myself some of it on my 4runner.
ANYWAYS, I've heard headers mentioned, getting wider diameter pipes, different mufflers, can someone give me an overview of all this and try to explain it?

TIA

Shawn

------------------
88 4runner, 22RE, stock and slow for now...

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
headers are the part of your exhaust that is connected to the engine block..... getting larger diameter headers and tail pipe and different mufler will lower the back pressure in the exhaust system. The engine doens not have to work as hard to get rid of emissions, and thus you get a little more power. Be careful though. It is possible to go too big. You will also get more exhaust noise( sounds good with a V8).

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Completely original with Forestry box, but I added 31" tires.
360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an 81 Toy 4x4, with the 4cyl and I put a header to 2.5inch exhaust to the rear, along with a K&N air filter, and bottle for a muffler, and the guy from the muffler shop says I'm probably pushing an extra 20-25 hp, it's well worth the $700 installed.

------------------
1981 Short Box Toyota, 3in trailmaster body lift, brand new ES3000's and a single ES2000, marshal 33's, hooker header, K&N filter and a good old cb radio.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's like a cherry bomb, only it has a slight baffle and is a muffler(street legal), where a cherry bomb is a resonator(not street legal as a muffler). Supposedly they'll free up 5-20hp for about $80 installed with taxes. They make that hollow honda sounding exhaust.

------------------
1981 Short Box Toyota, 3in trailmaster body lift, brand new ES3000's and a single ES2000, marshal 33's, hooker header, K&N filter and a good old cb radio.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welllets tell you now what a cherry bomb or bottle is. Its acts like a muffler to muffle noise but not to much because they are straight though,"you can see through it" where as a muffler you can not see through, hence less flow less noise less power!!!

------------------
1983 BRONCO 3" BODY LIFT 33 12.50 351 WITH EDELBROCK PERFORMER

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Has anyone ever put a Bottle Mufler on a 360V8? do you know if it is possible? That might really be loud!

------------------

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally posted by Jarett:
Has anyone ever put a Bottle Mufler on a 360V8? do you know if it is possible? That might really be loud!

Well I've put a Cherry Bomb on my 4.0L with a hollowed Cat and Stainless Header and a boom tube exhaust tip and its f**king loud. There is such low restriction that I get the BANG when upshifting at high revs. Scares the hell out of Pedestrians.

So I would guess putting one on a 360 would make it real loud. Unless you have a long tailpipe, which I dont anymore, that will help quiet the noise a little. Your best bet might be to put a lower restriction muffler compared to a cherry bomb.

Ryan

------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by RyanEgger:

So I would guess putting one on a 360 would make it real loud. Unless you have a long tailpipe, which I dont anymore, that will help quiet the noise a little. Your best bet might be to put a lower restriction muffler compared to a cherry bomb.
Thanks for the advice. My truck has no emissions equip. on it. Kinda nice, they didn't have it back then. Perhaps it would be a good idea to just go with a less restrictive muffler. I don't want to scare people.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.