BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The exhaust fumes in my Sammi smell pretty damn bad and the smell is penetrating inside, I want to try to figure out what it is. I don't see any obvious leaks, and the engine runs fine otherwise. There is also a smell of gasoline under the hood, that's what I smell inside the truck. It smells a little different than the exhaust, it smells simply like gasoline, while the exhaust has a sharper and more unpleasant odour.

I suspect the carburator, when I first test-drove the car before I bought it I didn't smell anything. Then right before I bought it the owner told me he had to do some work on the carb because it would die when it idled. Then when I was driving the car home, I smelt the problem for the first time. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well, he probably screwed your fuel mixture. I'm not all "look at me I'm good with cars" but it could be running really rich, and not burning all the fuel.

Do you notice any loss of power? (not that Sami's have any)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it is hard to tell if there is a loss of power or not, since it has been that way since I got the car.

If it is a question of fuel mixture, how do I fix that?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I dont know if you're runing a cat but sometimes when they crap out they tend to make your exhaust smell pretty bad the only way to tell is to smell it when your engine hasn't been running for 5-10 minutes and go smell the tail pipe. Or if it only smells like gasoline then its probably your fuel mixture or a gasoline line is leaking somewhere.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like your running a little rich, which would account for the fuel smell, and could potentially kill your cat, which would account for the tailpipe stink.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts