BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up a 95 or newer 8.8 for a swap into my jeep. My question is what is the spindle count on the axle shaft's? Does anyone have any info on these that would help, or another donor vehicle that is available.

Thanks in advance
Greg

------------------
If it aint broke...it aint a JEEP.
88YJ, 4"susp. 2" body, 33" muds

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
It must be Explorer to get the 31 spline (ranger is 28 and drum, although some are disk but width is different)
Watch out for the odd ball Sport Trac that has drums.

Thanks for working out the bugs. It should make it easy when I do mine

Wes

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Explorer 8.8's are all 31 spline, 95 and up are disc brake. The 31 spline axles have bigger bearings (same as F150,etc) while the Ranger (28 spline) is the same bearing as the Mustangs, etc. The gears are anything from 3.05 (I think) to 4.10 (only in Sports). The 3.73 usually has the LS and is found in the tow package 4 drs (axle code D4 I think). Expect to pay $1000 + for the axle (I've heard).

Cheers

Dale

ps. Chris Siebert has a shortened 9" with 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern (Jeep) for sale super cheap. Minus the 3rd member. Custom Moser axles though...stronger than an 8.8 and already set up for SOA.

------------------

1992 Ford Exploder
6" lift, solid Dana44, 33's

"Soccer mom's car on 'roids"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.