BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that these were weak underbuilt vehicles and after hearing a few guys speak highly about them I am now looking closely. I have read that the U joints and axle shafts in the TTB are as big as Dana 44's, so is it as strong? Will the TTB and 8.8 stand up to hard use with 33's? Not extreme rock crawling, but real world hard wheeling (upper hut). Also what are some opinions on the auto tranny and the t case and an expected amount of life on the engine?

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In my opinion the ranger\exploder running gear is quite strong. Yes they are dana 44 u-joints in the front end (same part number) the axels are very strong, I'v only blown' one (the center one) in 2 and half years of hard abuse. The tranny and case I'v had no problems with, keep em' up on ATF and don't worry. The motor well, I'm finding the same problem as the early 2.9's top end noise. But no big deal, I'm running the 4.0 and I'm very happy with it's proformnce(sp?).Keep on top of the mantanance,(bushings,ball joints etc.) and I'm sure you will be happy. Let me know how it goes.

------------------
88 Ranger 4inch sup lift 3 inch body swaped in 4.0 8.8 rear dana 35 up front 33 12.50 swampers

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by MEK:
I was under the impression that these were weak underbuilt vehicles and after hearing a few guys speak highly about them I am now looking closely. I have read that the U joints and axle shafts in the TTB are as big as Dana 44's, so is it as strong? Will the TTB and 8.8 stand up to hard use with 33's? Not extreme rock crawling, but real world hard wheeling (upper hut). Also what are some opinions on the auto tranny and the t case and an expected amount of life on the engine?

Mike.
the exploder's rear 8.8 is a big bearing, 31 spline setup, quite stout.
The Dana 35 TTB is another stout item, 27 spline inner axles, (most jeeps never see more than this on their REAR axles) and the outers use the full sixe 297x u-joints, just like 1/2 and some 3/4 ton trucks. the Tcases don't seem to fail, the only failures I've seen are the rear output shaft's yoke retaining stub snapped off (most likely from excessive re-install torque) and either direct case trauma or lack of fluid. inside they are pretty stout. The transmissions are another story. I've yet to see a 5 speed that lasted the life of the vehicle, nor an auto, but the later autos have a much better rep than the oldest ones. Either way, they are not really prone to catastrophic failure, they just seem to wear out faster than the trannys of yesteryear. I'd keep the strain as low as possible with correct axle gearing (4.56+ for 33's) and a really good cooler or three for the auto.
Driveshafts seem plenty beefy, especially when compared to older Bronco2's and Rangers.

The motors are good, nothing stellar in terms of performance or longevity, but reasonable, at least. Routine maintenence and minimal abuse seems to be the ticket. Not like an old 302 where you can beat the bag off it daily, and change the plugs and oil every 100 thousand miles or so :)

------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers guys, sounds reasonably tough. They sure are a good deal to buy for a loaded 4 door SUV. I could not believe the prices at www.canadatrader.com It's not to comfortable cramming my wife, myself and the car seat in the front of my toyota.

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, 5.29's, new bearings, detroit rear, true trac front, all pro e brake, new 33's on 15x10 AR aluminums, front axle rebuild, bushwacker cut outs, locking tool box,
extended shackles, SR5 buckets, lots of spare parts, email for pics.

·
1,269 Posts
See the Ford For Sale section, the '91 EB Exploder my buddy had is beginning to develop a bit of tranny noise after a few years of wheeling, and his lifted TTB front end flexes great. Only thing I've ever seen him break out on the trails is a front u-joint.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
583 Posts
Originally posted by MEK:

Mike.

That's a common misconception but we won't hold it against you.
The drivetrain handles 33's no problem. My Explorer has been lifted for 4 1/2 years and up until last month I had 33's. I recently put 36's on it and I don't expect to have any problems. The transmissions are not as strong as they could be but the transfer case is. The 4.0L should just about run forever and while she ain't no rocketship there is plenty of power.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

I was going to go crazy but then I realized that I already have a summer home there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Running gear -

I'm running 35's and have an 8.8" with Dutchman axles and a chopped HP 44 SAS up front with stock tranny, tcase and engine. 4.56 gearing provides enough power. Nice thing too, you can lift 5-6" and not have to lengthen driveshafts.

If you are considering an X, DON'T go buy a lift. It is cheaper just to swap a 44 up front. Seriously...$2K for a lift vs. $500 for an axle and $200 for coils and a couple of hundred for misc stuff.

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer
Chrome grill guard and some other mods...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Originally posted by tiessen:
If you are considering an X, DON'T go buy a lift. It is cheaper just to swap a 44 up front.
Not to mention that the off the shelf lifts are weak.

If' I'd know then what I know now I would never have bought a kit.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

I was going to go crazy but then I realized that I already have a summer home there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.