BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope the lines wern't to long for ya at the mountain Dale. I'm glad I got up there early. Anyway I found an explorer that looks pretty good. I was wondering if you've had any problems catching rocks with the rear springs and if I should do a spring over in the rear instead of getting the spring pack? If I get it I'm going with the 6" skyjacker. Oh yeah, how is it running 33s with 3.73s?

------------------
----------------
Crack
92 Ranger 6" lift 31s
Slamming the gas can get you over almost anything, the question is, can you keep going after

[This message has been edited by Crack (edited February 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
228 Posts
3.73's with 33's is OK. Not great on Sea-to-sky highway but fine around town and offroad in 4lo.

Spring over in the rear is definitely the way to go. Get Al to do a custom job, the Superlift kit is crap.

The Skyjacker setup is good, though I heard their warranty dep. sucks.

When you buy, watch out for:

1. A4LD tranny is weak. Ask if its been rebuilt.

2. Auto hubs are crap.

3. Rocker panels tend to rust.

4. AC never works.

5. '91's had problems with blowing head gaskets.

I love my Exploder. It's a bit big on the trails but is a very capable vehicle. The 4.0L motor is OK with a K&N and exhaust. And the 8.8" rear end is fine with 33's. The front end bearings wear fast with 33's though. Keep your eye on the lock nut tightness.

Good luck.

Dale

------------------

1992 Ford Exploder
6" lift, solid Dana44, 33's

"Soccer mom's car on 'roids"

·
Registered
583 Posts
Originally posted by Crack:
... any problems catching rocks with the rear springs and if I should do a spring over in the rear instead of getting the spring pack? If I get it I'm going with the 6" skyjacker. Oh yeah, how is it running 33s with 3.73s?
I'd go SOA in the rear for more clearance and it is cheaper to do too. The Skyjacker front lift is supposed to be better than Superlift. I do know for a fact that the coils work better. The 6" Skyjacker lift uses new rear leafs. You could do SOA for a fraction of the cost. If you plan to wheel it hard don't expect the factory leafs to live forever. I have a friend with 3.73's and 33's on his 4.0L 5 speed Ranger. It is not enough gear. Might be better with an automatic though. I have 4.10's and I think the gearing is well matched to my 33's with the automatic.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited February 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

------------------
----------------
Crack
92 Ranger 6" lift 31s
Slamming the gas can get you over almost anything, the question is, can you keep going after

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.