BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most tourists travelling along the Sea to Sky Highway between Vancouver, BC, and the Whistler ski resort are unaware that their route is taking them past one of the worst polluted mine sites in North America. Seventy years of mining activity has exposed the ore to air and water, resulting in chemical reactions that create concentrated acidic, metal-contaminated water. From the mine, this water, or acid rock drainage, made its way down to Howe Sound, killing marine life in the immediate vicinity. But just like the tragic shipwrecks that provide divers with interesting dive sites, the historic and infamous Britannia mine operation has left a wealth of mining remnants for four wheelers and other back country explorers to find.

http://bc4x4.com/tr/2010/mount-sheer/

The article includes a link to a 360-degree panorama of the generator building. Check it out!

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
great trip report with some cool images Lars. I remember going up there a few years back. come to think of it, I think it was a WWU run the board used to have a while back. we didn't explore as extensively as your trip but it's always cool to see remnants of old mining towns. didn't know there was a swimimg pool! how cool was that to see...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
ive been iching to go back, i remember as a little one heading up there, I gota bring the wife with me for a two day trip, really show her some of our history..

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive been iching to go back, i remember as a little one heading up there, I gota bring the wife with me for a two day trip, really show her some of our history..
Based on what Swivelhead posted in another thread, you should go on the weekend when the company that owns the place isn't working. Then there'll be less chance of being spotted and raising the ire of the company. Also, go soon while the gate's still open.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great trip report with some cool images Lars. I remember going up there a few years back. come to think of it, I think it was a WWU run the board used to have a while back. we didn't explore as extensively as your trip but it's always cool to see remnants of old mining towns. didn't know there was a swimimg pool! how cool was that to see...
What's a WWU run?

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
43 Posts
oh wow that looks amazing i was showing my dad the trip report last night he was amazed on how many structures were kind of still standing. I think i might take a burn up there this weekend with my dad and check it out looks pretty cool i love exploring things like this
thanks lars for the trip report :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
thanks lars! Ive sent you a PM for more info on places to stay in the area, our date is set for july 23rd-25th. we will be bringing the quads to make traveling the area a little easier and quicker (the canam can travel alot rougher and steeper terain than the jeep can even do)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Awesome!
I'm working on a movie right now and we are filming around the main building down by the highway - so I've taken the time to explore inside (yes, up the 230 steep stairs all the way to the top!)

I might add, please TREAD LIGHTLY and be safe up there. The whole area is under strict environmental controls (acid mine drainage water purification) and lower down is also a heritage site, so tampering with anything or taking anything home would be considered bad taste (the water is also bad tasting.. har har)... of course, if you are reading this you are probably a responsible individual so if you see someone else acting irresponsible, say something!

·
Registered
201 Posts
would love to head up there this spring and takes some photos of the area,
anyone want to go?
and how do you get there, ive never been but would love to go explore.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i was reading all this and went to my parents house and asked them if they have heard of this place and my mom said are you joking. i was like what ???. and she said that i have been there when i was younger and that we hiked up there. and that my grandmother grew up there and her dad worked in the mines. i guess she was in the paper last year about it. huh. so now i want to go up there even more. can you still drive it ?

doug

·
Registered
831 Posts
i was reading all this and went to my parents house and asked them if they have heard of this place and my mom said are you joking. i was like what ???. and she said that i have been there when i was younger and that we hiked up there. and that my grandmother grew up there and her dad worked in the mines. i guess she was in the paper last year about it. huh. so now i want to go up there even more. can you still drive it ?

doug
Can you still drive it? I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I haven't or seen anything about any road closures uf there. But as one of the photos of my TJ from lars shows, even in April, you get to a certain elevation point and you hit mega heavy wet snow that'll stop you in your tracks. The one pic of my TJ is as far as I could get before there's a curve that goes around a deep basin (Jane Basin is it Larry?)...the snow was running off the mountain side at a 45* angle and if I tried to push through, I risked dumping the TJ over the edge.

Personally, I'd wait til the weather gets warmer and drier to try getting up there because the historical areas only get better the higher you go.

·
Registered
201 Posts
now for the most important question!
how do you get there?

·
Registered
831 Posts
now for the most important question!
how do you get there?
Hwy 99, go through Furry Creek, go up the hill and at the top of the hill, turn off at the FSR sign on the right (the pic where I'm trying to straighten the sign out with my TJ parked beside me) that's posted in lars' link in the 1st post. If you go down into Britannia, you've gone too far.

I can't remember the name of the FSR on the sign in the pic (anyone?) and I didn't take GPS points. I just followed lars. I've been back since though and it's easy to find.

·
Registered
146 Posts
thanx van bc guy. i just thought maybe it had a gate up now. no i dont think i will be getting far now with no chains or lockers. but it sounds very cool. maybe with my pops sled!!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
thanx van bc guy. i just thought maybe it had a gate up now. no i dont think i will be getting far now with no chains or lockers. but it sounds very cool. maybe with my pops sled!!!!
Don't quote me on saying that the gate's still open like it was last year, but it's worth a try. It's an amazing area.

If you do get up there, take the left fork when you get to the first split if you want to go up where we were. Taking the right fork leads you somewhere else cool that I haven't had time to explore yet. But maybe someone will pop in and post up where that takes you and what you'd find.

·
Registered
831 Posts
the gate is open and then closed on whatever whimsical fantacy whomever has a key decides.

It's just as likely to be closed as it is to be open. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind closing it or opening it is for that matter, either way you best go there with a backup plan in mind....
I was hoping you'd see this thread & post something Jarl. You seem to know the most about that area out of all of us.

Hope all's well & to see you out there somewhere soon.

Jarod.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Found some cool little trails up Furry creek last weekend. Just wide enough for the samurai to fit without pinstriping. I was turned around at a washout that would have been a cake walk for your jeep and mildly challanging for my samurai.
dont you love a swb!

yesterday yet again i was getting razzed about being a 6foot 3 250 pound guy in a samurai.
the old guy in question drove a v12 triton, "why dont you just buy a real truck":cwm23::shakehead:

"sigh" just keep thinking about the time last season when 2 guys in a "F.A.T"
(that stands for "fat ass truck") said "you seen any bears" sure i said.
they jumped asking "where! where!" somewhere your truck cant go...
"why the hell not?" your trucks wayy to long and far too wide for the quad trail.:laugh:laugh:popcorn

1 - 20 of 45 Posts