BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flockin thing blew on me again. This time it is the whole shebang, crown, ring, spiders.

I want to drop the 35 and install a 8.8 but will I need to install a new rear shaft? SYE? Can you people give me some insight?

Is it worth just fixin the 35c for now and saving up the parts for my swap in the spring? I don't exactly have the money for all the goods now.

What do I need to get in the way of parts to do the swap?

Any info from you 'experienced guys' appreciated.

Thanx, Steve:soso

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW if anyone has any rear end parts I might be interested in then let me know.

·
Registered
382 Posts
if i remember correctly all you need to do the 8.8 swap is
the axle
the bottom half of the ford driveshaft
the top slip yolk off your driveshaft
and new spring perches
the ford spring plates have a place to mount the lower half of your shock on

and access to a welder.:soso

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
4Lo said:
I want to drop the 35 and install a 8.8 but will I need to install a new rear shaft? SYE? Can you people give me some insight?
The 8.8 has a 1" longer snout so if your current driveshaft is just right or a bit too long, the 8.8 will make things 1" worse. But if your driveshaft is a bit too short, the 8.8 might be a good thing.

To hook it up to your Jeep driveshaft, you need to change the 8.8's yoke or modify the driveshaft.

Read the YJ FAQ to info on installing the 8.8:

http://www.bc4x4.com/faqs/yj.cfm

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ideally I'd go with a complete ford 8.8, hack and tap SYE and front ford explorer CV driveshaft. The rear explorer driveshaft might be a cv as well, but i don't know and I'm unsure how long it is. I would estimate 200 bucks for the driveshaft + flange + cut and balancing at a shop. SYE is 150 bucks or so with bc4x4 discount at nsor, you can get a drummed complete ford 8.8 for pretty cheap i think, not sure what axle ratio's you can get but I DO KNOW that '97's come with disc brakes and 4.10 gears with some sort of limited slip dealy. Wreckers will probably try to get over a grand for those though. If you can get someone in the know to get it for you I would think it could be had for as low as 600.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The heep is at a local shop and is getting new parts for the time being. I need to get mobile right away.

I think I am buying a new truck in the next couple of weeks, if things go as planned. The Jeep is going to be the down on my purchase. The thing has 185,000 clicks on it so a new truck is in order. Also the Jeep doesn't help me with the buiseness I am involved in. I need a more practical vehicle.

She's served me well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Re: Explosive 35 axle.

lars said:

To hook it up to your Jeep driveshaft, you need to change the 8.8's yoke or modify the driveshaft.
Not counting the length, you don't have to modify the drive shaft or yoke of the 8..8 You do need the drive plate from either an explorer or ranger. It attaches to the drive shaft u-joints and bolts to the pinion of the axle.

John Bouliane

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
FWIW, I think Dan Brama ("Dan" on this board) has a spare D35 or two for sale. I think he's also got an XJ 8.25 which will bolt up in place of the D35 too. It's stronger than the D35 and an easier swap that the Ford 8.8

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got a d35 carrier (limited slip) with a 3.55 ring gear (pinion gear blew up), from a non c-clip d35 (as well as a set of spare axle shafts.
The clutch packs would probably have to be replaced if you wanted the effects of the limited slip again.
Give me a shout if you're intrested.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Already fixed. I blew the guts, but I also stretched the housing.

It cost me 1300 bux to fix her then I traded the thing 3 days later.

I figured I'd get more money for it if the rear end was in working order:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts