BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know the laws about haveing people sit in the back of pickups on the road? i heard that all you need is seatbelts but i dont even have belts in the front of my mog and its legal. my truck is a '62 troop carrier so it has benches in the back. do you think it is legal to have people sitting back there while on the road. if not what should i do to make it legal or should i just put my canope on and hope the cops never check?

------------------
1962 mercedes unimog 404 stock

·
Registered
14 Posts
As far as I know, the way to make it legal is to get it inspected. To pass the inspection, I think you need to have seats that are secure with appropriate belts.

------------------
94 Ranger
29" tires
Nice looking Herculiner bedliner.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i think it would be illegal unless you had seat belts

------------------
SOLD!!!!!!
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<NOW SPORTIN A CHEVY> <BeCaUsE Im SiLlY lIkE tHaT!!!>

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
i've heard that it all depends on what the vehicle came with out of the factory. if it came without seatbelts, you should be ok. not 100% sure...

------------------
what's a 4x4?

·
Registered
237 Posts
There arent any seatbelts on school or city buses though.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
640 Posts
im pretty sure that if it came stock like that it should be legal.because all the older cars anbd vehicle never came with seat belts and its legal not to have them cuz thats the way it was stock

------------------
84 Bronco II 302 ci. 3" body lift 4" suspension lift on 32" BFG MT's

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's part of the MVAct that addresses seat belts. All the Provincial regs are posted at gov.bc.ca.
Appears that your '62 is okay, but you might also want to consider passenger safety, not just legalities.

"A person must not sell, offer for sale or operate on a highway a motor vehicle required to be registered and licensed only under this Act and manufactured or assembled after December 1, 1963, other than a motorcycle, unless it is equipped with not less than 2 seat belt assemblies for use in the front seat in accordance with the regulations.

(3) A person must not drive or operate a motor vehicle on a highway in which a seat belt assembly required under this section or the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time the motor vehicle was manufactured, assembled or imported into Canada has been removed, rendered partly or wholly inoperative, or modified to reduce its effectiveness.

(4) A person in a motor vehicle being driven or operated on a highway must, if the motor vehicle has properly attached to it a seat belt assembly for the seating position occupied by that person, wear the complete seat belt assembly in a properly adjusted and securely fastened manner.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Speakin of seatbelts, anyone know how legit it is to wear a 5 point harness over a regular seat belt, but only the lap belt part?
A buddy put a minivan seat & seatbelts into his pick-up and it was legit because it was bolted down by the body mount bolts in the box.
But on the other hand, being a '62, I don't think you realy need them. When I was in cadets, we use to ride in the back no probs in the "older" personel carriers. Not much different than your mog.
Next time you go through a road block ask those cops, they are traffic cops, they should know. Or call the station and they should know somebody that would know.
Good luck.

------------------
'85 BroncoIII

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
VERY stupid, but legal.
Of course, a cop might give you a ticket anyway because he feels you are placing the passengers in danger.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ask Skidmark in the Talk to the RCMP forum.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
It's been 2 years since this was posted...I don't think they care anymore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
do a search as this has been covered before

1 - 13 of 13 Posts