BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My leaf springs are VERY squeaky...i tried all sorts of lubes for it..silicon, teflon...etc etc..but none of them work...any suggestions?

it's a '97 XJ 4.0L

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Have you tried taking the spring pack apart, cleaning them up and lubing them up properly or did you just kinda spray in where you could while they were still on your truck?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Install a complete coil spring suspension system that should fix the problem.:D

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Are you positive that it's the leaves and not the bushings?

One thing that may help is taking them apart and inserting new teflon pads on the ends, although I'm not sure if the XJ uses 'em (the YJs do).

The other thing you could do is buy teflon strips to insert in between the leaves. Most spring shops should carry the stuff.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's the bushings

i've checked the squeaks again and lars is right...it's the bushings...so what can i do? any teflon inserts for those too?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Re: it's the bushings

Reddy said:
i've checked the squeaks again and lars is right...it's the bushings...so what can i do? any teflon inserts for those too?
No such thing. You can try removing the inner sleeves and putting some anti-seize on them. It'll be very difficult to get 'em out, though. Also, they might be squeaking where the rubber meets the hole in which they're inserted. In that case, you have to take the bushings out to lube 'em and it's virtually impossible to get them out without destroying them.

I'd recommend getting a set of polyurethane replacement bushings, lubing 'em with anti-seize, and installing them in place of your existing rubber bushings.

If you already have poly bushings, just pull 'em out, lube 'em, and re-install.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts