BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a stupid question, and i'm not sure if it is posted in the right forum, but I was wondering if you could make a Crew Cab Long Box F350 4x4 into a Short Box by just moving the rear axle forward and getting a new bed. I know there are other things that would have to be done aswell such as the drive shaft, and chopping off the extra frame off the rear etc.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

·
SNOWMAN
508 Posts
sure,, why not,,fab up new brackets etc and go. shorten d shafts, parking brake cables, fuel tank may need relocating ect..
or just sell yours and buy a short box crewcab

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The problem is the frame is not straight in front of the spring hanger, so you can't just move the spring hanger forward or you end up with a funky angle in your springs so you need to fab something else

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I don't want to sell my truck because I like the crew cab, but I don't like the long box. Its a 1996, and I don't have a lot of cash to buy a newer model truck. Basically my truck is everything I want except its a long box.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
sure why not. if you have access to a plasma cutter, a welder, some sort of frame jig to hold it from warping while welding your frame, fabrication skills, and a shop I say go for it! Cut out and shorten the frame, or maybe it would be easier to get an ex cab long box frame, and move body/box mounts to fit a quad cab and short box? If you have the skills, equipment, and time anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
sure why not. if you have access to a plasma cutter, a welder, some sort of frame jig to hold it from warping while welding your frame, fabrication skills, and a shop I say go for it! Cut out and shorten the frame, or maybe it would be easier to get an ex cab long box frame, and move body/box mounts to fit a quad cab and short box? If you have the skills, equipment, and time anything is possible.
I just happen to have a 92 F250 4x4 diesel EX Cab LB frame bare coming out from under the cab later in the week. This may actually provide a better option as stated above than what you plan...less work overall.

The ex cab is going on my reg cab 4x frame so should be fun, and similar project.

HOpe that helps u out, come with beers and it's yers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping the project would be as simple as moving the spring hangers forward or something like that. Doing a complete chassis swap is a bit more work than I wanted to do.

Thanks for all the great advice and ideas.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I was hoping the project would be as simple as moving the spring hangers forward or something like that. Doing a complete chassis swap is a bit more work than I wanted to do.

Thanks for all the great advice and ideas.
Ya but this gives you an op to blast, paint, fab and do all those things you need to do right, right? Nice Frame off build...why not? you would have to pull the box anyway right? SO why not build the frame and then when ready swap it all over...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts