BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Smitty front bumper and wish to fab a winch plate for it. What are the dimension for a good plate?

Length
Width
Thickness
How tall is that curve in the front?
where are the whole to be drilled and what's their diameter?

I am also wanting to make a good rear bumper, tire carrier and rock sliders. Any you have any good diagrams or pics?

:read

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm what I mean is my bumper has the mount for a winch plate, I just need to make the plate.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've just come into some plate for a winch bumper and I would say the minimum safe thickness would be 3/8" for mild steel, get a second opinion on this though `cuz I'd like to know too. If you have a winch in mind just check the manufacturer's website, I know that Warn gives all of the mounting dimensions for their winches, and so does Milemarker.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks; I guess I am just anxious. An old friend, 69yrs young, and seasoned Tool and Die Maker trained from Europe has just offered to help me mount my roof rack, fab a winch plate and "anything else I might need". Wow I don't think he understands what I "need":D

Anyhow he has his own shop with impressive equipment so I don't want to let this offer go to waste by not being fully prepared for him. I appreciate his offer but don't think he fully understands what I would like in the way of Rock Sliders and Rear tire carrier etc but then I probably don't understand how simple some of this may be to someone like him:confused:

I like Toyotapillar's Bumper and his so called attempt - which looks more like perfection to me. And there have been others who have posted their work like Jerry's Rock Sliders.

There are also the true professionals like TrailMax Manufacturing who apparently do top quality work.

I don't know how much of this man's talent I have at my disposal. Since he is an AutoCAD nut also, I'll be re-configuring his IT equipment and introducing him to the benefits of a CDBurner ;) He seems to put a huge value on my technical expertise and has offered me far more than I'd expect. :)

I'll take whatever he graciously offers but want my facts straight first. I'll probably feel compelled to offer him lifetime tech support on his CAD Machines .... No worries;)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Not sure how well this will show up but we'll give it a shot. Worse case, call Warn and ask them to fax you a copy...

Edit - That looks like crap. E-Mail me if you want the original

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well if you have someone with that kink of a background and that much experiance I'm sure he'll give you what your after in no time. Some of these oldtimers are amazing in the depth of hteir knowledge. I regularly source the guru's in the newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking and it's seem like there is not a question they can't answer. It's too bad your guy is not on the island, I'm trying to get my brain wrapped around autocad right now and it's killing me! I just got a new drafting machine so I think I stay with that for a while yet, I don't really need cad for anything I'm into right now anyway.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah this guy is a master, he doesn't fully understand autoCAD either but know's it's value. Instead of drafting 150+ pages to design a die he now gets some BCIT wiz student to run the mouse while he dictates what he needs and wants. He say he can make in AutoCAD in a small fraction of the time that which would be on the drafting table. He told me never cut until you have drafted all on paper... you'll save much time.

Otherwise he works with autoCAD to learn what this BCIT student does so well but says he's too slow when he has a deadline.

maybe he'll even draft up some designs for slidders etc.

take the pebble from my hand grasshopper
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts